Warhammer 40,000 *NEW CODEX* Battle Report: Imperial Knights vs Deathguard 2000pts

Avatar Tabletop Tactics June 2, 201821  94 21 Likes

We are super privileged to be able to preview the new Imperial Knights Codex here, courtesy of Games Workshop! Watch on as Spider fields the all new Valiant Knight against Bone and a resilient Deathguard list headed by Mortarion!

Tabletop Tactics website & On Demand:

Official Tabletop Tactics Merchandise: https://www.tabletoptactics.tv/store/

Transform your battlefield with Gamemat.eu: http://www.gamemat.eu

John Barber
John Barber
2 years ago

You need to call one of those knights Blackbeard.

Depending on the wording; I don’t think Endless Fury would generate those extra hits on 6’s, because with a minus -1 to hit you would technically need to roll a 7 on a D6. It’s for this same reason that squad sargs with Power Fists and the like don’t get extra Death to the False Emperor’s on 6’s.

John Barber
John Barber
2 years ago

In this case it probably wouldn’t even matter if you took Mortarion as your warlord anyway (re: competitive schmetitive!) if the Valiant I think can snipe them with the shieldbreaker missiles and can do so out of LoS.

Alessandro Brogi
Alessandro Brogi
2 years ago

One question cause i don’t know knights: can they fall back and shoot?

Mike Jello-Sky
Mike Jello-Sky
2 years ago

Lucky #7 Definitely Atlas or Tyche /Tycho (Greek goddess of luck and fortunes)

The big boy… how about Argos? The first Greek heavy warship/galleon

Metalfist
Curtis "Metal Fist" Govett
2 years ago

Fantastic video, Lawrence, how did you get the lovely black on the bulk of the armor? it looks more then just a coat of Abaddon black. Would love to know!

Gary
Gary
2 years ago

Can we possibly see Kytan and Demon Engine World Eaters Vs Imperial Knights?

C.J. Sower
C.J. Sower
2 years ago

What an epic showdown! I just did a REALLY intense mtbike ride followed by some really intense beer and this was so much fun. Lawrence I appreciate you saving the 2 CPs to show us the true meaning of valiant pain. Bone, Knucks. Great shit.

Nick
Nick
2 years ago

Excellent battle report, that Knights army look great. I was wondering what you made of the Death Guard, as a DG player I know they tend to struggle against vehicles anyway and their main vehicle guns hitting on 4’s with a random number of shots and random damage makes them fairly unreliable (if very tough). What advice would you guys have for fighting an army like knights, who can’t really be tied in combat and can pretty comfortably out-shoot and out-range you, while armigers can comfortably outpace anything in the DG codex?

Ciaran Lyons
Ciaran Lyons
2 years ago

1:30:54 – Lawrence, you might say that B-Bone has entered the… Spider’s… Web….?

Alex Andersson
Alex Andersson
2 years ago

Loved it guys, very enjoyable batrep, good banter! Great to see all-out knights 🙂 Hope the pub was good, melting away up here! In any case, I really enjoy having DG back. I know this was a sort of more relaxed game with fun lists and so on, but personally I’m so bummed out on the Myphithic Blight-Haulers, they sound good on paper, sort of. But then all those drawbacks start to add up and what looked like synergy is actually 3 mortal wounds in your lines? I also really love my Chaos Lord with Arch-contaminator, I feel the re-rolls… Read more »

Vayle
Vayle
2 years ago

I was first thinking of taking house Taranis as my knightly house, but I am slowly starting to consider just building my own, especially so I won’t be bound by being questor mechanicus…

Nick Lucas
Nick Lucas
2 years ago

Man I love knights, I LOVE the Valiant, I mean he’s got a FREAKING HARPOON as a gun… also the Armigers, there is something about little fast moving walkers that gets me going, awesome battle report, way to showcase the Knights, great stuff fellas!! With the points reduction in the Armigers they seemed extraordinarily resilient for their points, granted they did not do much damage but the threat alone of how fast the can move seemed to be enough to put ol BBone on edge. Perhaps letting the Armigers clash with the tanks and counter charge with the Princes so… Read more »

William Blood
William Blood
2 years ago

For Knight #7 how about naming him “The Hound of Hades” – as a homage to Cerberus the guardian of the underworld. Keeps him themed with the Ferryman, who I assume was named after Charon.

If you do get a Preceptor you should name him after Chiron. Chiron was a Centaur who was regarded for his mentoring of young heroes – something that seems to fit the Preceptor class. His name means “hand” in greek and he was said to be the wisest and most just of all creatures, so how about “Hand of Wisdom” of “Hand of Justice.”

Metalfist
Curtis "Metal Fist" Govett

That new knight looks amazing, shame its $280 AUD :/

Klas Swanljung
Klas Swanljung
2 years ago

Even though you remember dttfe on mortarion vs the big knight you do it wrong. If you got with the reaping attack every 6 produces 3 to hit rolls, not 1

Grendle
Grendle
2 years ago

Thanks for the preview! That flamer is wicked awesome!!!

Dale
Dale

Also, Bone, very unlucky on lucky number 7 in turn 3 shooting
He should’ve been dead!
Really shows how nice a BS of 3 is eh

Emperorofsarcasm
Emperorofsarcasm
2 years ago

Good game guys, that Valiant is a beast! Bone, on a scale of 1-10 how excited are you that the Wolves are coming soon?

Dale
Dale

Nice bat rep guys!
Those Knights are badass!!!!
Morty should’ve gotten 6 additional hit rolls with dttfe and the reaping scythe profile instead of 2

Dan W
Dan W
2 years ago

Love that imperium building. You guys build it?

htmlord
htmlord
2 years ago

Just FYI, when Mortarion rolled his 6’s to hit, with Death to the False Emperor, you would have gotten 2 more attacks, which you can then choose between Reaping and Eviscerating attacks again, so Bone would have either gotten 6 Reaping attacks at -2 or 2 Eviscerating attacks at -4. Since he only rolled 2 attacks, they should have been Eviscerating attacks at -4 AP and D6 damage, so the Valiant should have taken 2D6 more damage – this could have been big!

Love the game, thanks for showing us the new Knights!

Gary
Gary
2 years ago

Epic battle, but it left me wondering how Knights Vs Maulerfiends and Kytan World Eaters would go! Monster Mash! :O

Tony Molinari
Tony Molinari
2 years ago

You guys have been putting out so much awesome content that I hate to ask (but will anyway) Any kind of timeline on the continuation of ghostmaker? Can’t wait to see more of it!! Cheers mates!

Mark Kelly
Mark Kelly
2 years ago

Awesome battle report love the knights, such a unique army. The one question I got is with the super heavy walker ability being able to leave the demon prince in combat? It says in the index book you can walk away from infantry models. So does the new book say different? Or does the prince count as a infantry model?

Cheers guys

Stumanks
Stuart Manks
2 years ago

amazing report knights are gonna be big!!! need some of them bone toga dice for heat 1 lol

Peter Andreasson
Peter Andreasson

Lucky nr 7. Name him Slevin

BobbyG
BobbyG
2 years ago

Woo woo. I can already imagine the value of a standalone Valiant Knight in a guard armely with plenty CP ??

Augusto Fioretti
Augusto Fioretti
2 years ago

What is this? But WHAT IS THIS??

…awesome awesomeness…

SirGore
SirGore

Great battlereport!
Knight errant – Bishop
Valiant you can use – Sir Gore =P (never mind the greek theme).

Robe
Robe
2 years ago

Nice game guys! Dreading facing these chaps already, that conflagration cannon relic is something else!

Luca Tranquillo
Luca Tranquillo
2 years ago

Amazing battle report guys!!! Really enjoyable. Made me want to get my own knight army!

You will need to name one of the knights ‘Thanatos’ he is Death in Greek mythology

Muzzatroll
Muzzatroll
2 years ago

I paused it, and Bone looks like he’s REALLY excited by the new book… ?comment image

Danny Aland
Danny Aland
2 years ago

Id call the valiant “Harbringer” and rename his relic weapon to “the ender of fates”.

Call the Arminger’s “Gate” and “Keeper”.

Not sure on No.7 yet.

Yann Head
Yann Head
2 years ago

Hell Yesssss! Knight codex preview + battle report and all on my B-day. wood woooop!

Tony Molinari
Tony Molinari

OSMOSIS

Viktor
Viktor
2 years ago

Its was phagocytosis – “the ingestion of bacteria or other material by phagocytes and amoeboid protozoans” you were close

Alex Graham
Alex Graham
2 years ago

Would you get any of the fw knights

James Daniel Wilcox
James Daniel Wilcox
2 years ago

Amazing game gents! It is good to see a new codex win a game. The talk that has been going on in the forums is “Woe is me” and I think a lot of people are overly dramatic about some things. I plan on building my own house as well and my first army is totally Hawkshroud. Love their lore and their rules! But I also want to try the more melee-centric versions of the knights as well. Thanks again for all that you guys do!

Ryan Eastwood
Ryan Eastwood
2 years ago

Why did you guys move away from the sitdown and explore the book format? Not that I dont love a bat rep. But i did enjoy the more thorough look at the book and seeing your opinions on them.

James Daniel Wilcox
James Daniel Wilcox
2 years ago

Names: For the big Dominus Knight – Thanatos (Greek personification of death, he guards the doors of death). #7 – One of the judges of the dead (Minos, Rhadamanthus and Aeacus)

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_underworld#Thanatos

Edit: The ferryman’s name is Charon btw ^_^

JeremyMV
JeremyMV
2 years ago

What is this song that cam with the BBone sunglasses?

James Daniel Wilcox
James Daniel Wilcox
2 years ago

~23:00 – Good one Bone! Note quite as good as the Murder She Wrote comeback though. You guys should make a compilation video of your Thug Lifes. ^_^

Seán Kenny
Seán Kenny
2 years ago

It may be the beer talking, but did one of the armigers just disappear? 😛

Sidney McGhee
Sidney McGhee
2 years ago

I had an idea for the name of the Valiant, Thanatos, he is the Greek god of death and guardian of the gates of the underworld. Thought that would fit really well with your theme!

James Daniel Wilcox
James Daniel Wilcox
2 years ago

Wooooooo! WOOOOOOOOOO! It is time! Bring out the big boys! Can’t wait!

Martin Holec
Martin Holec

Mitosis is what Pink Horrors do

Stuart
Stuart
2 years ago

The big knight valiant should be Hades, and the warglavies should be cerberus. Since they are similar to hunting hounds anyway.

fg2anubite
fg2anubite
2 years ago

hello gents great game as always. 1 thing for Lawrence, when you shot at mortarion with the relic gatling cannon, you dont get the extra hits when mortarion is at -1 to hit as the dice get modified to 5 so you do not get the extra hits. but im sure you simply forgot that.

beautiful knights, my friend a big fan so shortly i will be getting slaughtered by them also!!!

Joe Kerr-Delworth
Joe Kerr-Delworth
2 years ago

Nice! Been waiting for this to pop up, even if it has gone midnight! Shared it and some of the details as well for you guys! Btw, do you have Beard hiding away doing some DIY at the start of the video? Sounds like someone sawing wood in the background 😀 Keep it up guys! Loving it! I think the footage of the 1st Armiger dying got sucked into the warp, but i’m guessing the 2nd mortar killed it? As for a Greek name for the Valiant, Arete was the Greek Goddess of Valour and Virtue. (Roman name was Virtus).… Read more »

Leonard Mckinney
Leonard Mckinney
2 years ago

osmosis, mistosis is cell division great stuff so far