Warhammer 40,000 Battle Report: *NEW CODEX* Genestealer Cult vs Imperium 2000pts

Avatar Tabletop Tactics February 2, 201913  158 13 Likes

The day of ascension is here! Courtesy of Games Workshop, we are able to preview the new Codex and field the all new Studio Genestealer Cult army against the Endonian Genome!

Tabletop Tactics Merchandise: https://www.tabletoptactics.tv/store/

rathstar
rathstar
1 year ago

You touched on the character limit, but didn’t say much about what I think is the bigger change for an indication of the direction of the game, which is the use of allies, ie. only get half the command benefits, can’t use special characters, relics or strats. Would this be a way for GW to balance soup (making it a choice rather than an auto include) if they rolled it out for all detachments that come from a different codex than your warlord ? What does are your thoughts on this direction ? PS. Great battle report as always, looking… Read more »

slag
slag
1 year ago

It’s such a struggle watching a batrep of Bone against GSC. I didn’t know who to root for, the army i love or the most entertaining batrep caster on the interwebs.

Chief Dreaming Owl
Chief Dreaming Owl
1 year ago

Awesome battle report and codex review! Thanks! And I missed it then you do Chapter approved review: will you potentially do a campaign with new Battle Honours rules (well after currenr one finishes).

Robert Fisher
Robert Fisher
1 year ago

Do you still get the cultist knives bonus attack if you attack with the rending claws. I’m pretty sure it says “When you attack with this weapon, gain +1 attack” or something equivalent.

B-Rad
B-Rad
1 year ago

I disagree with Spider, I think it’s totally ok to have the Harlequin to have a different and worse power than GC. It fine for an army to do something similar but better. Grey Knights (to hit right at home lol) gets the dead character fight again strat for less CP than the rest of space marines. It’s those subtle difference that adds nuance to the game.

Andrew Davis
Andrew Davis
1 year ago

That was really fun, enjoyed see the GSC as I haven’t seen them played before.
I am looking forward to Bone and Beard going on adventures with Melvin and Maggie 😉

Viktor
Viktor
1 year ago

Why are GSCs so filthy just look at the broodmind discipline it is so cheesy. For one why the hell magus is leadership 10 while Custodes Shield-Captain or Eldrad are Ld9? That means that with leadership debuffs it is possible to nuke some units out of existence with just a single WP6 power. And than Mind Control, you’d better bring some snipers…

Danny Aland
Danny Aland
1 year ago

I don’t rate the aberrants as anti knight, if you wanna kill a knight in one turn, take 20-man acolyte blob, with 8 saws and a icon. bring a primus along and smile as you obliterate everything in a single turn of unadulterated slaughter (obviously the time to be using a perfect ambush)

Danny Aland
Danny Aland
1 year ago

Being controversial, with the change to CP farming, I think Agents of Vect is worth 3CP.

Yann Head
Yann Head
1 year ago

very interesting codex, I hope that the precedent for characters and allies will become the norme. It will certainly re-equilibre the game. Always great fun when the two of you play, even had my wife laughing (and she does not understand most of what you say)… 😉

Bengt Gren
Bengt Gren
1 year ago

Epic. I could just imagine the Patriarch jumping on the back of that knight, tearing at the reactor.

I’m really happy for my own Genestealer Cult army.

Kieran Barnes
Kieran Barnes
1 year ago

Any chance we can see the annointed throng for the game on Monday?

Joel Rutter
Joel Rutter
1 year ago

Great show guys! Loved it.
Just in future I’m pretty sure that the Mind Control power can be largely diminished if you leave a unit within an inch of the target of it. It would prevent shooting from the mind controlled unit because you can’t shoot out of combat. I may have interpreted it incorrectly but I’m pretty sure you can get around it like that. Obviously they could still assault the unit you left close but I think it’s a good trade off most of the time

Darren McKernan
Darren McKernan
1 year ago

Bone your last turn with the Scions in combat was painful to watch. You could have pulled everyone out of combat and then used your orders to shoot with “Get back in the fight”, or ordered fix bayonets to fight in the shooting phase and then fight again in the combat phase. That unit would have easily been removed.

Reuben Cronjé
Reuben Cronjé
1 year ago

Sorry guys, but this is the first bat rep I’ve stopped watching out of frustration in a long time. Between the utter waste of Bone’s second last CP on a 6+ (!!!!) armour save that was never going to stop the Knight being bracketed, to the utter waste of two rounds of the Knight in combat attacking 4 different characters leaving them all partially wounded but fully functional, to the fact that Machine Spirit Resurgent is for the turn not the phase (so Bone’s Knight should have killed all/some of those 4 characters after all when it hit them the… Read more »

Matthew Manall
Matthew Manall
1 year ago

I’m waiting for you to start sticking Scions in Valkyries to make use of the new formation.

Khyz0r
Khyz0r
1 year ago

I watch you do it all the time, but why would you waste so many of your CP’s on a single re-roll just to prevent a little damage instead of saving them for something more meaningful? It’s controversial, I know but…

You could interrupt combat which could potentially kill a combatant before he even gets a swing and thus you don’t need an armor save at all. Like getting a charge off which could mean you get a whole units worth of attacks in, instead of doing nothing. That’s mathematics people!

A single reroll is in most circumstances a trap!

Skylar Petitt
Skylar Petitt
1 year ago

The army looks fantastic! Great color scheme choice, and I really liked the chioce of units you brought for this first game; it was truly like the population of the planet had risen up at once. Waves of cultists and their vehicles, with a few fully mutated characters… very cool.

Magnis
Magnis
1 year ago

To showcase the stuff you wanted to, maybe a less shooty army would have been an appropriate opponent?

nab
nab
1 year ago

Lovely battlereport guys. Thanks for bringing the cults out to our viewing pleasure prior to release.
And if you guys see chef loitering around the studio, tell him people are waiting for the next Cast of Players 😀

Cgates642
Cgates642
1 year ago

Great report new army no real complaints. Probably an Imperium win if everything played out correctly but new army unless you consult all the books for every decision things go wrong. But what a show. I like the tempestors but they are just too expensive for my tastes. My only complaint and this is in every battle report you need a dedicated camera for dice rolling. Just a tripod so you can have both hands free for actual rolling. Dropping dice is random, yes but most dice just drop and sit. I may be the only one but if like… Read more »

Chris Hughes
Chris Hughes
1 year ago

Enjoyed this, quite the massacre! Curious why you didnt use the abominant to buff the aberrants though, doesnt he give the aberrants exploding 6’s, or did they change that for the codex release?

Dan Lipscomb
Dan Lipscomb
1 year ago

Bone. That joke is a Melvin….

CreativeName
1 year ago

i think 2 Strategems that I use every game that I have never seen Bone use are Take Cover and Fight to the Death. One makes you more resilient to shooting and the other guarantees you aren’t going to lose 4 guys to morale.

felix crab
felix crab
1 year ago

Geandtealer cults are like the skaven of 40k, i have to say im seriously considring these guys for my next army.

Jacobi
Jacobi
1 year ago

The Primus should likely have died at 2:26:30. Bone rolled six wounds for damage, not four.

UnLachy
UnLachy
1 year ago

Wish my codex didn’t come out so early 🙁

Alex Volkov
Alex Volkov
1 year ago

2:50:10 If Lawrence’s laughter was a Chaos God, it would be Nurgle, because it is so infectious.

Drew
Drew

Hey,
Don’t wanna be that guy, but I’ve seen you guys often skipping using pistols in the shooting phase when you’re in combat.
Unless they lost them in the codex, all Neophyte hybrids also have an autopistol. While it’s not amazing, you could have potentially got a few more wounds on the scions in the melee.

Am i just being blind?

Icarus
Icarus
1 year ago

I think Magus is supposed to be pronounced like MUG-us, rather than MAGE-us.
Not that this is gonna prevent B-Bone from calling her Magda the Magus instead of Maggie the Mage-us anyway…

Simon
Simon
1 year ago

The 6 rolle on the explosion in turn one. . Wouldnt that be for rugged construction?

Bryan Clark
Bryan Clark

#thecultrises

Nick Steele
Nick Steele
1 year ago

so would a tear in reality occur if you used Agents of Vect against A Plan Generations in the Making?

Dean Brereton
Dean Brereton

Love Bone, Missed him ? Glad you are back mate

Kieran Barnes
Kieran Barnes

From the community site

“We just wanted to clear up that the intent
is certainly that you can deploy your entire Genestealer Cults army using Ambush markers if you like – in any type of game. Any and all units that have the Cult Ambush special rule can take advantage of this, though you still can’t start with more than half your army underground. Not even the Genestealer Cults are that sneaky!”

The ambush doesn’t count as reinforcements, so you can use it to secretly deploy.

Kieran Barnes
Kieran Barnes
1 year ago

Think I might be starting a Gsc army, they look like a blast! So many shenanigans!

slag
slag
1 year ago

They need to carry over this “1 character of each type” into all the other armies. It’s a good rule. And wow, that brood brothers rule is what everyone has been saying they should do to fix soup. I’m going to be dumbfounded if they don’t realize that and apply that rule to all allies in an FAQ. It’s the perfect solution and it would be a shame to only apply it to GSC.

slag
slag
1 year ago

Been waiting since december of 2016 for this army to be finished and playable. The first half-release in 7th was what brought be back to 40k after being away since 2nd edition. So excited to use my GSC now.

BobbyG
BobbyG

I propose a new Studio Rule, any roll off the table is a miss 🙂

Andrew Carter
Andrew Carter
1 year ago

Great game, it’s always good to see a complete blood bath on the table. I think I’d always use the counters, it prevents your opponent from directly counter deploying against you as they don’t know where your units are and if going second can really screw with your opponents first turn movement and allowes you the chance to deploy based on how they’ve moved. Personally I’d always take a few hammers in an Abberant squad, one thing GSC seem to lack a bit of is anti-knight weapons and this is one way to get a lot of high strength multi… Read more »

Pete Croft
Pete Croft
1 year ago

Lots of interesting rules questions regarding Mind Control. Does the model being Mind Controlled become an enemy unit for the duration of the psychic power? This is not only interesting in terms of stuff like Rotate Ion Shields, but also for Character rerolls. Example: If you mind-control a Repulsor that’s 6″ away from Guilliman, and he happens to be the closest model to that Repulsor, can you shoot everything at Guilliman and reroll hits and wounds because of his Aura? Can you target Guilliman, even though there is technically a model closer (the Repulsor itself)? Psychic Powers like this need… Read more »

Magnus
Magnus
1 year ago

Didn’t they FAQ the “half your army” to be points for matched play?

Dave Henderson
Dave Henderson
1 year ago

Finally GW ensure ‘natural’ choice for warlord has to be the warlord. Primarchs, Greater Daemons, Chapter Masters, etc should always be warlord if included in an army.

Viktor
Viktor
1 year ago

IT IS TIME! Make Deathwatch vs GSC Tactica!

Maxfield Benton
Maxfield Benton
1 year ago

Just as a heads up, machine spirit resurgent (the IK strat that acts as top profile) is until end of turn not for a phase. Great battle report! Genestealer cults look like a blast!

GerManticore
GerManticore
1 year ago

Why can’t stratagems be priced differently? Grey Knights do “Only in Death ..” at half the cost of everyone else too.

Edward Green
Edward Green
1 year ago

Think the cost of their Vect rule should take into account how many CP’s they have access to, especially if they can farm CP.
You usually only get 1 Vect off in a game as Drukhari.

Re the mirror of minds, Harlequins have a ton of access to leadership de buffs, mirror of minds would remove most Models in the game if LD was taken into account. I really hope cults cant de buff leadership.

Magnus
Magnus
1 year ago

First Turn Charges can be insanely detrimental to some armies, so I am glad that GW is doing their best to avoid it.
I’d rather want to see a boost to melee units in other ways.

Akrabra (John Ivar)
Akrabra (John Ivar)
1 year ago

Agents of Vect and Generations in the making(?) should be once per battle and 3 command points, done deal. That would make it more tactical, and take away the issue with the stratagems as they are now.

John Barber
John Barber
1 year ago

That detachment limitation is awesome. I hope they introduce that into the wider game too come March? update. EDIT: I’m almost positive that they’ll errata the Agents of Vect to be 4cp as well. As for the reinforcement thing, I’m almost certain that they’ve errata’d that to be points value nowadays in matched play if you’re not using power level. As to the Rotate Ion Shields thing, in a friendly game I’d say you would be able too, but in a competitive setting I don’t think you would be able too, because as you said it’s not an enemy model.… Read more »