Warhammer 40,000 *NEW CODEX* Battle Report: Iron Warriors vs Imperial Fists 2000pts

Avatar Tabletop Tactics March 23, 20197  129 7 Likes

With a massive thanks to Games Workshop, we debut release the all new Chaos Space Marines Codex with a Specialist Detachment from the new Vigilus Ablaze book! To top it off, we also debut our all new studio Primaris army, the Obsidian Dragons!

Tabletop Tactics Merchandise: https://www.tabletoptactics.tv/store/

zeog zeog
zeog zeog
1 year ago

With that many thousands of new points on the shelves I’m hoping for an apocalypse game soon: )
Any chance coming up? Or are you thinking a new campaign to debut everything?

D.J Kiepura
D.J Kiepura
1 year ago

so how many point are oblitz now? im so confused..

Rob Gibson
Rob Gibson
1 year ago

hey guys, I know we all think daemon engines are a tough sell even after the changes, and I know most people think the maulerfiend will be best, but I have thought about it a lot and I think the defiler will see play, or at least be more interesting than the maulerfiend. 12 more points for the lowest cost, and it still has 7 attacks at str8 or 16, it has smoke launchers so if they are running gunline you can pop those instead of shooting and advance to get closer. It has 2 more wounds, and actually has… Read more »

Erik Tasker
Erik Tasker

who died?!comment image

BigGrim
BigGrim
1 year ago

Once again, Bone and Beard are a joy to watch! Great game fellas and the new Primaris army is GORGEOUS!

Harry Wynn
Harry Wynn
1 year ago

Re: The Daemon engines hitting on 3’s, I know reliability makes the competitive list go round, but if we’re constantly buffing everything and making them all reliable and cheap in pts… I dont know, everything gets kind’ve samey?

Im personally fine with the Daemon engines hitting on 4’s, I’d make them more resilient. Let them regain wounds for every wound they inflict on a 5+ or something. As they feast on souls they keep powering up, which would help keep them on the table and make their hitting reliability less of an issue.

Rabbit Burner
Rabbit Burner
1 year ago

‘Can I have 6?’ – we are in the ‘if you don’t ask you don’t get’ age.
Great to see more Chaos and cant wait til you get the new models in the army.
Great result for Beard 🙂 even though at times it felt like he was rolling D3s instead of D6s! and Bone was channelling his inner Spider at times 😉
Great job as usual guys, great fun and a great watch 🙂

Michael Hansen
Michael Hansen
1 year ago

I love Beards always slightly confused “Do I really look like a guy with a plan?” look, even when things go as “planned”. 😀

Matt Green
Matt Green
1 year ago

You guys costed the oblits at 65points per model, dont you think that is a misprint in the codex2 as they are 110 in the shadow spear codex?(if so beard had about 400points extra on the table, which probably led to such a one sided battle) Also I’m on the fence about havocs because sure they got t5, but you lost the ability to add extra bodies for wounds.

Aaron Wilson
Aaron Wilson
1 year ago

You guys kill me, this is my favoruite battle report you’ve ever done. Genuinly crying with laughter at points, please never stop doing what you’re doing. You’re so bloody good at it.

Andrew Davis
Andrew Davis
1 year ago

Loving the new primaris army, cannot wait to see what you guys do with it. Is the new shadowspear stuff going to be painted as part of the Obsidian Dragons?
Also as they are your custom chapter are you going to allow a house rule that they can use all the warlord traits or just the generic ones?

Cgates642
Cgates642
1 year ago

I have found 10 man squads seems to just do better.

Cgates642
Cgates642
1 year ago

I love Primaris. Do you think they can be competitive? I play them a lot and have a lot of fun. But I’m trying to see how to make them competitive. I know you all would be the one’s that could do.

Magnus
Magnus
1 year ago

Let’s see how long it takes until GW realize the typo in the codex and put Oblitirators back into the 100+ rage…

They did seem quite tough in this game, but Bone lacked the right weapons to take them down, my Dark Angels would apply 30 Hellblasters to the problem. *sage nod*

Kristian
Kristian
1 year ago

If Daemon Engines could move without the penalty to shoot it would be a huge improvement, just like PotMS.

This one was special. They are always good, but this one was … special <3

Snarftron 9001
Snarftron 9001
1 year ago

Love the new Space Marines! The TT intros don’t Dragon too much so keep em going!

Philip Hargrave
Philip Hargrave
1 year ago

Unsure if this has been mentioned but for bone using the siege breaker cohort the stratagem used was used wrong on the obliterators, you only do the mortal wound on a 6+ against vehicles or buildings, if you were to use it again i would say 6 centurions nothing but bolters and just use that start. its brutal especially buffed through captain with +1 to hit warlord trait, imperial fists start for more shots on bolters, lieutenant, ancient, apothecary etc

B-Rad
B-Rad
1 year ago

That fight phase!!!! The Emperor protects Bone! The Emperor protects!

AINZ OAL GOWN
AINZ OAL GOWN
1 year ago

Hey guys! I think tje lord discordant is great, its just forgefiends that are terrible, imagine him with a brass scorpion or, as my list will have, 3 chaos decimators with soulburner petards! Hitting on 2s and each hit is a mortal wound? Amazing!

Michael Countryman
Michael Countryman
1 year ago

Absolutely fantastic battle report, as always!

Mike Jello-Sky
Mike Jello-Sky
1 year ago

Wow! Obliterators huh? Nasty…
I think it would have been a little bit closer if you used the points for the repulsors somewhere else. Those things aren’t good enough to make it past turn 1.
Beautiful army though. Great way to showcase them!
Can’t just let the iron warriors win like that. I think the GK need to be called in with some assassins and a Gallant! 🙂

Good batrep fellas!

Solvagon
Solvagon
1 year ago

AAAAh all the DttfE with the Lord Discordant who gets it on fives….

Beard, for the love of God, just give every model a giant flag with “Death to the False Emperor” written on it.

Micha Ben Toby
Micha Ben Toby

Loving “Brother Jazzhands” the redemptor ^_^

IIHouseOfGeekII
IIHouseOfGeekII
1 year ago

Laughed so much at the sieze initiative a little wee came out. Rofl!

lewis waller
lewis waller
1 year ago

Great BatRep again guys, definelty agree with FS_12 on the Repulsors and you guys they are need for improvement to make them more durable.
Also any idea when the studio Ork will be arriving.
Any ideas on a non klan Ork colour scheme

Paul Rimmer
Paul Rimmer
1 year ago

Not only the best content out there for 40k, but the best last laughs as well! Thank you sirs 🙂

batthemadbat
batthemadbat
1 year ago

Fellas! You know, I really love your content (I’m paying money for it) but could you please, please, please consider screaming a bit less. It get’s really annoying and feels like watching a bunch of monkeys having a tantrum sometimes. Banter is well and good but if you really have a sharp line you don’t need to scream it.

Kieran Barnes
Kieran Barnes
1 year ago

absolutely gorgeous army, fellas! any chance we can see them use the new crimson fists rules? possibly against the big orc reinforcements on the way

Modulus42B
Modulus42B
1 year ago

Excellent job guys – truly a babtism of fire for the Dragons though! 9 Obliterators!? That would have been punishing last week! Question: do you think the points drop in the codex could be a typo, and it should be what the Shadowspear box says it is…?

Optimisticpaint
Optimisticpaint
1 year ago

What benefits you guys most with Freeview? Watching them here or increasing your views on YouTube?

Bulwyf
Bulwyf
1 year ago

You know I love you guys and have total respect for what you do and the quality of the videos is truly top notch. With that being said allowing Beard to use what is clearly a typo to have 65 point Oblits using the new datasheet for them was just wrong. Bone played against an almost 500 point difference against him as a result. We all know that is a typo and what the new Oblit costs are. Knowing this was a typo can I ask why the decision was made to go with it? Was it just to illustrate… Read more »

Ian Clarke
Ian Clarke
1 year ago

Likely my favorite so far and i’ve seen them all. Well done lads!
Keep doing what you’re doing, long list intro and all. It’s one of the things that sets you apart from the rest.
Also three of you guys in a report is far an away the most entertaining. Bone keep representing the grim dark down under!

Chris Healey
Chris Healey
1 year ago

great game, obliterated the primaris 😀

Quasistellar
Quasistellar
1 year ago

Redemptors are T8!!!!!!! (Edit: NM I’m dumb)
And oh my god emperor of mankind save us if that oblit price isn’t faq’d. That is absolutely INSANE.

Bryan Pereira
Bryan Pereira
1 year ago

Just wanted to say i really enjoy the pregame chats.. I always look forward to hearing all of your feedback on the new debuts.

****Spoiler ahead **** On a side note Beards war cry on that seize had me almost spit out my drink lol!!

Andrew Horan
Andrew Horan
1 year ago

Would love to see the Indomitus Crusader Specialist Detachment be used with the new Primaris Force. It’s amazing with guilliman (CP Hungry and rerolls)but even without him; the new bolter discipline rule and the rapid fire strategem on a unit of 10 intercessors you can get 40 str4 ap-1 shots. Plus it gets intercessors to 3 attacks each in melee. With the Grey Shield Warlord trait you can get very creative as well. Would love to see a full unit of inceptors with plasma as well. (Scions of Guilliman really helps). I’m sure you guys have all these ideas already… Read more »

Casey
Casey
1 year ago

One day, during the opening discussion, I will Not try to wipe off the smudge in the top left corner of my screen. Just one time, I won’t fall for it, I promise.

Marc Svensson
Marc Svensson
1 year ago

Oh man, I was so hyped for this game, thank you Bone for the Walrus joke by the way, literally had me crying in laughter, but then it turned out it was 2450 points of Iron Warriors vs. 2000 points of Imperial Fists, which is a shame really.

Bellchump
Bellchump
1 year ago

the intro is always the best bit. For someone who lives far from home and one their own a lot of the time, the banter that goes on before (and during) the battle reports is fantastic. Makes me feel like I am part of the gang. Interested to see how another instalment of Lawrence and Kids unfolds.

Pete Croft
Pete Croft
1 year ago

Repulsors are so cool, and their firepower is pretty great, but sweet jaysus will some savvy techmarine stick a rosarius on one already, just use the holy duct-tape and slap it on there, it’ll be grand.

Beard playing 450 points up probably didn’t help though 😛

Owl the Molfar
Owl the Molfar
1 year ago

That charges from Mr.Bone – so EPIC!!!!
Thanks for battle report and new rules overview.

Ghislain Vallieres
Ghislain Vallieres
1 year ago

hey what about the altar of Khorn no rules???? Great game btw!

FS_12
FS_12
1 year ago

Regarding the discussion on the Repulsors and wether they are viable or not… Realistically even at 200-250 points they would still die turn 1. My feeling in 8th is that there is a massive discrepency in terms of effiency of durability. We usually discuss the offensive aspect of the game but the defensive one is just as if not more important dont you agree? Marines cant sustain damage because they have no defensive force multipliers outside RG chapter tactic, no stratagems, no real WL-traits/relics (IF one comes to mind, which is good but not for vehicles…). What Vehicles are effective?… Read more »

nab
nab
1 year ago

oblits are listed as 6 powerlevel per 1 obliterator in the new dex. The old were 10 powerlevel for 3. So definately a typo for their pointcost.

The obisidian dragons are purdy as all hell guys, huge thumbs up.

Matthew Dean
Matthew Dean
1 year ago

The obliterators are definitely a typo. More wounds, more shots, better toughness and a fist they have 100% missprinted the points cost and if that was the case then beard had 450pts more than bone.

William Labelle
William Labelle
1 year ago

Excellent game as always guys, love the color scheme on the Obsidian Dragons, the captain making that charge near the end of the game was so epic haha

Andreas Rehn
Andreas Rehn
1 year ago

The legion trait that allow you to gain a CP when you kill a unit on 5+ can be stacked and farmed. The Tactical restraint rule only applies to Warlord traits, relic and abilities (i.e. it doesn’t affect Stratagems that reward CP nor legion traits).
This could use an updated FAQ though since before this it didn’t exist as an army trait.

Ben Walker
Ben Walker
1 year ago

Welp, that wonderful display of chaotic murder seals it: clearly Oblits are not 65pts per model, it’s a copy pasta error.

But you know, they actually looked worth all of 115pts per model in that game to me. This’ll be FAQ’d quicksmart!

Gato Volador
Gato Volador
1 year ago

Did Ben forgot to take into account his warlord trait?
Also, with all that CP a chapter Master upgrade for the cpt. would have been useful…

Kev Bates
Kev Bates
1 year ago

Talking about which fiends are the best, I’ve been saying it since before Vigilus and Shadowspear, its even better now – DEFILERS!! they’ve had 2 massive points drops in chapter approved. You could get 3 and a lord discordant for under 600 points, arm them with autocannons and scourges and just march them forward. That new soulforged pack gives them extra move, they have a bunch of heavy weapons now hitting on 4+ when moving and turn 2 when they are mid table they can start charging into anything available and just rip and tear. It is so many high… Read more »