Warhammer 40,000 Battle Report: Ulthwe vs T’au 2000pts

Avatar Tabletop Tactics July 7, 20198  100 8 Likes

Two mechanised forces clash against each other in this brutal match up!

ZackAttack
ZackAttack
1 year ago

Luck of the roll aside; bones i feel like you could play more aggressivly with empty skyrays and transports.

They make excellent charge blockers and deny shooting!

I think sky rays being transports in addition to missile jockeys would be a great way to up their one and done value without having to change them in any way

Si

them rolls… ouch

Sam Mes
Sam Mes
1 year ago

Bone has to be one of the best sports in the hobby to keep coming back for more the way he does appreciate trying to give those Skyrays a shot. Also nice to see those war walkers and tanks instead of the hemlocks Lawrence.

knotdragon
1 year ago

I have a theory about Eldar and why they’re not a challenging faction to use anymore and for a long time. For me it’s down to when Guardians got their WS and BS increased to 3+. They used to be as well trained as Guard, but then this happened, presumably to make their vehicles more powerful. It just went and made bringing most aspect warriors – the heart and soul of the hyper specialised nature of Eldar warfare – redundant and overpriced in comparison. For a seemingly minor change like this, it has had a huge effect on what you… Read more »

Jack Burlison
Jack Burlison
1 year ago

While I like the fact that you guys try not to make your lists too competitive in the non-tactica battle reports, for example the single faction/single chapter requirement you usually use. However, I do feel that these restrictions should not apply to the least experienced player in each battle report. It’s boring seeing Lawrence’s tried-and-tested Ulthwe army going up against a much more ‘experimental’ Sa’cea force, because we know as soon as they go through the lists who is going to win 9.5 times out of 10. To make balanced games, Lawrence should be running the experimental armies and Bone… Read more »

Matjb2512
Matjb2512
1 year ago

I feel it has to be said; Bone is becoming less and less enjoyable to watch play in battle reports. Sadly, this has nothing to do with ‘luck’ and all to do with attitude. Looking beyond the hyperbole of ‘Lawrence rolls consistently well’ and ‘Bone always rolls poorly’, what you see is actually strikingly different approaches to the game. When Bone makes a roll (or really any decision), he always focuses on the misses or the things that didn’t do exactly what he wanted. Conversely, Lawrence is an overwhelmingly positive player that looks at all the things that are going… Read more »

Muphesto
Muphesto
1 year ago

I think when bone asked Eldrad to bless his dice for him he actually cast doom on all of them for the rest of the game.

Brian Cortese
Brian Cortese
1 year ago

I really think that if they rolled even close to even Bone would be winning a solid amount of these games.

Tobias Engelien
Tobias Engelien

Poor Bone ;(

Terry Ramsbottom
Terry Ramsbottom
1 year ago

I feel for the BBone. Unfortunately that’s the thing with 8th. Sometimes the games are over in turn 1.

Especially against the Spider rolls ?

Lemquy
Lemquy
1 year ago

Hey Bone, that was some dice hey. Laurance well played. Great game to watch.

Chris
Chris
1 year ago

I can’t stop chuckling at this one, I just imagine Bone going home to his misses and slipping into his velvet smoking jacket pouring a large glass of whisky and sighing deeply. “Tough day luv?”.. the glass smashes in his grip, “I don’t want to talk about it Vera!” grumbles poor ol’ BBone. (no idea if you’re married mate or if your misses is called Vera but go with me..) He mutters curses as the blood from his hand starts to pour “This job will be the death of me Vera”… sad music plays as he stares at a picture… Read more »

schnebeni
schnebeni
1 year ago

I think Bone made some huge mistakes. 1). It wasn’t really worth firing at the war-walkers because he could have just charged his Sky Rays into them to neutralize them. 2). He should have targeted the prisms much earlier. 3). He could have tied up the Black Guardians using the Sky Rays as well. Sky Rays are not one and done. They’re big vehicles which can be used to screen and neutralize.

JamGeo
JamGeo
1 year ago

Controversial opinion but Eldar do not make for fun or interesting TV. They are too sheltered from swingy RNG and the Eldar lists that are brought really highlight that. It just always feels like Eldar are playing with a different edition to a different game.

John O'Connor
John O'Connor
1 year ago

Bone, ref time 1:27:25 you pick up the pile of dice after a good roll and basically just flip the dice over for your wound roll while yields a load of 1’s and 2’s. That will always happen mate if you dont shake the dice before rolling especially after a good roll because you are reducing the chances of averages as the dice dont roll on enough axis. I noticed this about myself a while back and now it has much improved for me. I notice in a lot of the battle report that you do this and get poor… Read more »

Flapdoddle
Flapdoddle
1 year ago

I feel you Lawrence. I ebayed my old plastic sisters of battle from 7th (conversions). Still nice that they’re making new models, though.

Michael Stewart
Michael Stewart
1 year ago

Man I wish I had AP -4 Spider Shuriken for my Aeldari 🙂 Poor BBone, almost feels like workplace bullying with the Lawrence Luck sometimes.

Creative Name
Creative Name
1 year ago

Luck was pretty lopsided in this one but even without the luck, the terrain was easier for the Eldar to manipulate. I love heavy terrain tables so I’m not complaining. I encourage more. But the reality is all the blocking LOS really only hampers the Tau and was negligible to advantageous for the Eldar. Eldar are fast without losing shooting efficiency so can find great lanes of concentrated fire while limiting the number of shots they are exposed to. Plus those transports aren’t fragile in the first place. The prisms just need one to see to stay effective. Really great… Read more »

Lector27
Lector27
1 year ago

Oh I woudl love to see some more xenos v xenos every once in a while! Especially matchups like Tau or Eldar v Tyranids. And oof in addition to the simple fact that Spider’s rolls are demonic, this game also reinforced for me the advantage of using psychic buffs over aura buffs, and with Eldar being able to stretch their buffs over ranges of 18 or 24 inches from multiple sources, it just made them so manouevreable here while Tau was forced to rely on a castle (after the seize of course), and then they were all of a sudden… Read more »

Karlosdjackle

#outwiththeredgems

Paul Phillips
Paul Phillips
1 year ago

BBone, sorry if it has been pointed out, but dont seeker missiles need 2 marklights to hit on the users ballistic skill and not 1?

Bobabear
Bobabear
1 year ago

Great game, keep IT up. Never give up Bone, luck will turn. For The greater good!

Zachary Boyden
Zachary Boyden
1 year ago

THE SPIDER WITH THE SEIZE!! No Bone….I think it could of been a different game if Tau went first. Sorry for the dice rolls Bone…. The Spider is inhuman

GruulTapul
GruulTapul
1 year ago

I know you usually don’t do this, but I think it would be very interesting to replay that game with the exacty same army lists.

Also, this current Setup seems hard fore poor B-Bone :(.

Allen Beck
Allen Beck
1 year ago

Bone have you been hanging out with beard too much? So many 1’s and 2’s. Also at the 1:04:08 with the ‘Do it in my sleep’ right before the dice hit the table I said to myself, ‘Oh no, but Bone’s awake!’ And then that happened.

Freeman1021
Freeman1021
1 year ago

Gents no offence (your content is amazing), but where are all the fun eldar units? (Swooping hawks, fire dragons, Yutarchs, striking scorpions, howling banshees ect ect). Why do the most efficient eldar units have to be spammed every game?

Corruption
Corruption
1 year ago

Here’s a suggestion for an experiment you could try in a future battle report;

Players pick their armies, factions, warlord traits and relics as normal, then choose the mission, deployment type and deploy the armies. Each player controls the movement, decisions for psychics, shooting and charges/fighting as normal too. However, all dice rolls (from the seizing of the initiative onwards) are carried out by the opposing player.

Then we might see whether Lawrence’s luck holds up in passing off all of those 6’s to his opponent!! 🙂

Dylan Torrance
Dylan Torrance
1 year ago

Is Bone even having fun anymore? I get that you guys have a channel to keep running, but just losing over and over doesn’t seem like a good time for anyone. I have friends who I don’t play with because they can’t give me an interesting game and just destroying them over and over again isn’t fun for either of us.

Bone is obviously getting better, but I’m curious if he’s actually enjoying playing all these games with Spider knowing that he’s going to lose every time…

Rob Willars
Rob Willars
1 year ago

not watched yet, but my guess is bone will be on the back foot after turn one, horribly behind after turn 2, and we’ll be summarising by turn 3. I’ll still enjoy it tho 🙂

Michael McLoughlin
Michael McLoughlin
1 year ago

I have two rules…always root against Eldar and always root against T’au. I think this game is going to break my brain ???

Georg
Georg
1 year ago

While Lawrence makes some pretty epic rolls, one thing that is overlooked is that he also often has absolutely garbage rolls too, he just barely ever comments on it.
Btw, Lawrence: we love you. True, you sometimes spike 6s, and that makes you personally a horrible human being, but we still love you dearly! 😀

Corruption
Corruption
1 year ago

Guys I love your battle reports but seeing Spider constantly using top-tier armies (Aeldari of all flavours mainly) against Bone using mid-tier armies generally leads to a predictable outcome. The only time I have seen the Ulthwe lose on the channel has been when Bone was using them. I feel sorry for the poor chap, even though it is a fun game you can see when he starts losing interest – and one assumes, enjoys the game less – whenever these matchups happen.

Can you balance things a little more in future?

Bardog
Bardog
1 year ago

Very good job, as always guys. Cant wait to see all the new content thats coming with the new studio :D.

As a full time Sacea player let me tell you this. Try to always minimize every unit as much as possible to get the most out of your available re-rolls. Especially with marker drones, instead of picking them as fast attack choices, try to squeeze them in with your other unit choices (preferably 1 drone per unit). In the best case you get 1 re-roll for each marker drone. And always remember, for the greater good 🙂

LonelySandbar
LonelySandbar
1 year ago

When will we see an Eldar battle report with something other than Ulthwe? I know Lawrence likes them a great deal and they are painted that way, but seeing the same craftworld over and over isn’t all that enjoyable (I guess I can only speak for me). It is obviously fine for more tactica like reports to run what is best, but more craftworld diversity please!

confurioso
confurioso
1 year ago

Ooooooo, as shuriken weapons not -3 on 6s to wound? Bone would have gotten a few saves in the first turn….

Ba22a
Ba22a
1 year ago

Another excellent video 🙂 you guys should have a tournament where If lawrence wins, he can’t make any changes to his army, but his next opponent adds an extra unit to his army every time Lawrence wins. We can test how far his excellent dice rolling goes 🙂

confurioso
confurioso
Sam Shand
1 year ago

You guys create great videos but getting so tired of Bone getting beat on in all of the last reports. I know the dice haven’t always gone bones way but the last few matchups Lawrences armies just seem a lot better.

Muzzatroll
Muzzatroll
1 year ago

I see Grotty has got at the keyboard again… ?

Astra Militarum in the intro screen?