Warhammer 40,000 Battle Report: Space Marines vs Necrons 2000pts

Avatar Tabletop Tactics August 10, 201926  83 26 Likes

Games Workshop send us the all new Codex Space Marines and Ultramarines for review! We take the angels of death for a spin against an ancient enemy to test their new strength.

The Army Lists are:

NECRONS

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Necrons) ++

Dynasty Choice
Dynasty: Sautekh

+ HQ +

Cryptek: Chronometron, Staff of Light

Overlord: Artefact: The Veil of Darkness, Resurrection Orb, Warscythe (note that Bone had the spare points for this after all)
Warlord: Immortal Pride

Destroyers
6x Destroyer: 6x Gauss Cannon

++ Total: [116 PL, 1,999pts] ++

BigGrim
BigGrim
1 year ago

Gods, the blue of your Ultramarines is sooooo vivid. It’s gorgeous!

romanov
romanov
1 year ago

Does might of heroes work on whole unit? Since the psychic power reads that you cast it on a “model”…

Michael Warner
Michael Warner
1 year ago

edit because I miss remembered and answered my question.

Volkhov
Volkhov
1 year ago

I can’t see this as anything other than massive, disgusting, power creep.
Marines needed help, but this just ain’t it chief.

Mort3n
Mort3n
1 year ago

Here’s a reach to you all at tabletop tactics, and everybody else reading this;

Is it a probability that grey knights will get a codex and overhaul too? Since they rerun all the other marines?
I for one hope so, it’s tiring to just grab my gk for the babycarriers in soups. Though I have an ok soup list with them I’m currently playing, it would be nice with some new tricks in the sleeve 🤷🏼‍♂️

Worldspawn
1 year ago

Sometimes I just wanna scream through the screen. Alright, if Nullzone goes off then, when removing Wraiths, please remove the ones that are within range of the psyker instead of the ones furthest away. That way, once all those who are within the bubble are dead you will get your invuln back since it’s an aura effect, not a lingering debuff.

David Barrett
David Barrett
1 year ago

Thanks you for adding the army lists!

matt hopkins
matt hopkins
1 year ago

Great game. Really looking forward to the Void Dragons becoming a more defined chapter with the successor rules in the new codex. Also looking forward to seeing 3 Repulsors being used with the devastator doctrine.

DanteBobbyG
DanteBobbyG
1 year ago

Not that this has to be said since we all know it, but B-Bone is the man. Spider “My favorite space marine character is Artemis.” B-Bone deadpans “Cadmus Bane.” Ah, I’m still chuckling.

Geoffy
Geoffy
1 year ago

Always so sad to see the necrons not performing. Enjoyable to watch as usual. BBone you should check out a lychguard bomb. I’ve had a bit of success with them – and remember to fire your triarch stalker first!

Andrew Davis
Andrew Davis
1 year ago

Watching this has made me really excited to play my marines again, can’t wait to get my hands on these books and see what we can do.
Also i hope you guys let Sanga out of his painting hole to come and play some games every now and again 😉

Tomas Callan
Tomas Callan
1 year ago

These Astartes are BRUTAL now, as they should be. Their game play is starting to match up with how effective they are in the lore. Question for you guys: Do you think the Grey Knights will be benefiting from the Angel of Death rules? Cause theoretically they should right, not to mention that they also benefited from the Bolter Discipline. Could be the unreal boost that the Grey Knights need, and one that I’m sure Lawrence would welcome!

chaoticflanagan
1 year ago

Friendly reminder – those Hunter Killer missiles would be -3 AP because of the Devastator Doctrine 🙂

Hutch
Hutch
1 year ago

Great game as always gents. Null zone did used to cast on an 8 bone. Cheeky buff there! 7 very reasonable for game defining power! You out geeked the spider on that one mate. “And now i am the master” “only the master of evil bone..” or something like that

Simon Malone
Simon Malone
1 year ago

Great job as always guys, makes for a good compliment to a Sunday morning painting session! Question regarding your Ultramarines… what blue are you using as the main armour colour? They look so vibrant which I love! Using the standard GW approach mine look really dark 😕

Dracothius
Dracothius
1 year ago

Really loved the video guys! Awesome to see the Space Marines finally getting some love. I gotta say that I loved that fight at the end there. Bringing out the warlords to slug it out was awesome. I know there was some history between these two but how about if someone concedes from now on, we get a warlord duel,so awesome!!

John Barber
John Barber
1 year ago

Unless they’ve changed it, I’m fairly sure Might of Heroes only affects a single model in a unit.

SpaZz
SpaZz
1 year ago

I’d be very interested to hear as to why GW took away GSC turn one deepstike (their whole schtik) but decided that space marines having it was 100% fine. As a purely xenos player i feel like my toys are being stolen!

John Barber
John Barber
1 year ago

I’m looking forward to this new codex, despite not really being a mainline marine player for a while (my heart is just too set on the Flesh Tearers – as far as loyalists go). However, I’m a bit miffed that the CSM have missed out on this ‘new way’ of doing things, although I know it would have all been set long ago. I got Vigilus and the new v.2 of the csm codex and now I need the pdf update. I just wish they rolled those adjustments into csm to begin with, but for all we know we’re talking… Read more »

Brett Pettitt
Brett Pettitt
1 year ago

I can see the benefits of the new codex system, though it would of been nice to start that way.
As for the new rules – can you answer this – we now have units that wound automatically on the hit roll of a 6, and we have imperial fist and crimson fist at least that score 2 hits on the roll of a 6, is there clarification in the rules about the second hit being counted as a 6 or not?

Alex Andersson
Alex Andersson
1 year ago

Looking forward to the vox. Lots of mixed fealings so far. Thinking that raven guard scout bike spam is looking pretty hot even without the supplement.

Not at all happy with the increaseing amounts of efficient ap2 options where it was arguably already the most efficient level.

Almost no buffs to durability. Still very hard to get 2x batallion.

chris_salamander
chris_salamander
1 year ago

Lawrence. It is official that chapter tactics apply to vehicles also. It was previewed in a warhammer community article. I think Iron Hands now got a crazy good chapter tactic that applies to vehicles.

NeuroCancer
NeuroCancer
1 year ago

Am I the only salty necron here?
Don’t get me wrong I’m exited for what my DW is going to be but men necrons seems nothing like themselves this days

Archmike
Archmike
1 year ago

and that’s all i got to say about that! Why? Because Bone Cold said so!!

Lector27
Lector27
1 year ago

Wow, incredible baterp yall, this was a blast! And as a nids player, I’ll officially be living in fear of drop pods from now on… RIP board control.. 😂And I do love it honestly, but I do agree with Bone about the drop pods being potentially mechanic-breaking. Overall though, so happy with the direction Space Marines are going in, it will be really refreshing to see tactical marines not totally relegated to the sidelines. And I also imagine there will be and FAQ down the line that sorts a couple things out (like drop pods maybe also being exempt from… Read more »

MarshalKilroy
MarshalKilroy
1 year ago

Bless you Bone!! Cadmus Bane will always be the best Space Marine character because not only is he flat out amazing, he is also the epitome of what a Space Marine should be…. a Space Wolf!

I sure hope that Chef will discuss the implications of the update as applied to SW, BA, and DA….

Drew
Drew
1 year ago

Just want to drop a message to say thank you for posting lists!

Im rubbish at making 40k lists, or working out what’s in the lists on screen so this is super appreciated.

Flapdoddle
Flapdoddle
1 year ago

sure GW will address the chaos issue. For now at least we get the +1 attack on the charge. Here’s what I’d like to see for DG – let’s call it Grotty’s wishlist. – DG Warband rules. Apostles of Contagion! – Plague marines being 2 wounds a pop. – Disgustingly resilient on lords, hellbrutes, etc. – Rothail Volleygun / Entropy Cannons / Corrupted Staves = plague weapons. – Range on grenades increased, or at least when using Blight Bombardment. – Inexorable advance on everything DG. – Little boost to Necrosius, he is a warband leader! Would happily take some of… Read more »

Archmike
Archmike
1 year ago

If this is how good the marine codex is I can’t wait to see what the Sister’s one is going to be like 😀

Samuel Aster
Samuel Aster
1 year ago

Oh man i am so hyped about this Codex cause now even non Primaris had a huge buff and my fluffy themed Blood Raven list is now apperantly a “little” bit stronger :’D Would be cool if you talk a little bit about the negatives of the Codex in the voxcast and not only hype the new stuff. The fact that it is maybe a little bit too strong when we look at the new Chaos marine codex, with very little changes and still no vehicles effected by their army rules. But i can imagine this will be a thing… Read more »

Dean Brereton
Dean Brereton

Drop. Pods. 👍🔥

ghostvalley
ghostvalley
1 year ago

Is it too much to ask that everyone wear a purple toga and get along? No, Bone. Not too much to ask at all. 👍

1 year ago

Really looking forward to your podcast… I’m excited for these new marines, my all primaris army in not a dream anymore!
As always, a very nice game.

Magnus
1 year ago

So disappointing that Chaos Marines remain a bad troops choice, and then Tactical Marines getting better…
Feels like 6th edition all over again.

Bhilleach
Bhilleach
1 year ago

We all know Lawrence rolls a disgusting amount of 6’s, but rewatch Bone rolling disgustingly resilient’s. Lawrence’s rolls are universal where as Bone is blessed by grotty. I get the cinema of first turn drop pods but that mechanics was removed as it made the game no fun and know they’ll just end up changing it in an errata of writing counters to first turn deep strike in future codices.

4thHorseman
4thHorseman
1 year ago

Bone should just take a Top Tier Cheese List when he plays Lawrence, then it might be even with the rolls.

Samswinscoe
Samswinscoe
1 year ago

Maybe to make it fair, Laurence can make then tactical decesions but let Beard roll his dice 😛

Ivan A
Ivan A

Wooo new codex!

Klod
Klod
1 year ago

Just yesterday I was thinking it would be nice to see some Necrons on the channel, so big thanks for this!
Also, I don’t remember what models you have, but I would be super happy to see a melee oriented Necron list one day.

The Cyril
1 year ago

GW has made a masterpiece of a codex, and the supplements for each of the old legions is just a bloody good idea. Lets hope for the non codex astartes, that they will get something similar soon.

Nick Wilkinson
Nick Wilkinson
1 year ago

Love watching your battle reports. You are awsome. Thanks for my dice guys. Will look good with my new necron army.

Stefan Dinges
1 year ago

Isn’t this also the first codex where the cover art has changed compared to the 7th edition codex? This would then also support the theory about this being the first in a new wave of updated codicies?

Yann
Yann
1 year ago

omg…. that was brutal, Spacemarines are now real spacemarines… at last, realy looking forward to the vox 🙂

Mikhail Davis
1 year ago

So I dont have the book yet, but after some research Might of Heroes hasn’t changed. Might of Heroes only affects a single model not the unit. If I’m wrong Lawrence or B-Bone let me know.

Adrian Cuerva
Adrian Cuerva

SANGA!

Flapdoddle
Flapdoddle
1 year ago

Just got a little giddy thinking about Primaris Helbrecht and Primaris Emperor’s Champion. Come on GW!

Scopedog
Scopedog
1 year ago

I really hope that Chaos gets similar treatment – the v2 codex feels insultingly lazy in comparison, and they were obviously aware of the issues with non-primaris power armour and just chose to leave it.

The power creep definitely feels like power sprint with this one – GW aren’t even hiding it.

TechPriest Morgan
TechPriest Morgan
1 year ago

Great game, looking forward to the vox cast soon!

Thomas Azula
1 year ago

Love that REE on the internet at the moment with these Drop Pods, saying stuff like “they are breaking the game doing something no one else can!”….. Have these people ever met GSC and their blips?

Rozh Sadon
Rozh Sadon
1 year ago

Lawrence has taken me from “super excited” to “oh no this might be a bit much”, hahaha. Loving the return of Artemis and the Gaius War boys.

Absolutely cannot wait for the vox cast, looking forward to Chef’s musings (and rantings!).

EDIT: OH Bone. Bone bone boney bone. Those rolls oh dear OH DEAR mr spider. Prehaps you should play a game where you roll for eachother 😅