Warhammer 40k *SAGA OF THE BEAST* Battle Report: Orks vs Space Wolves 2000pts

Avatar Tabletop Tactics March 28, 202039  128 39 Likes

Spider unleashes the Wolves of Fenris against a green tide led by Bone!

Want even more Tabletop Tactics videos? Sign up for On Demand here: https://tabletoptactics.tv/membership-account/membership-levels/

The Space Wolves are painted by the talented @fletchers_painting – find him on Instagram!

For custom high quality terrain: https://javelin-terrain.com

The Army Lists are:

29x Ork Boy W/ Slugga & Choppa: 29x Choppa, 29x Slugga, 29x Stikkbombs

Boyz
Boss Nob: Choppa, Slugga
29x Ork Boy W/ Slugga & Choppa: 29x Choppa, 29x Slugga, 29x Stikkbombs

++ Spearhead Detachment +1CP (Orks) ++

+ Stratagems +

Specialist Detachment: Dread Waaagh!

+ HQ +

Big Mek W/ Shokk Attack Gun: Da Souped-up Shokka, Dread Mek, Shokk Attack Gun, Stratagem: Field Commander

+ Heavy Support +

Deff Dread Mob
Deff Dread: Dread Klaw, Dread Klaw, Skorcha, Skorcha
Deff Dread: Dread Klaw, Dread Klaw, Dread Saw, Skorcha
Deff Dread: Dread Klaw, Dread Klaw, Dread Saw, Dread Saw

Gorkanaut: 2x Rokkit Launcha, Skorcha, 2x Twin Big Shoota

Morkanaut: Kustom Force Field, Kustom Mega-blasta, Kustom Mega-zappa, 2x Rokkit Launcha, 2x Twin Big Shoota

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Orks) ++

10x Gretchin: 10x Grot Blaster

++ Total: [100 PL, -1CP, 1,996pts] ++

Space Wolves

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium – Space Wolves) ++

+ HQ +

Arjac Rockfist

Rune Priest: 2. Tempest’s Wrath, 3. Murderous Hurricane, Bolt pistol, Jump Pack, Runic axe

+ Troops +

Blood Claws
4x Blood Claw: 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Chainsword, 4x Frag & Krak grenades
Blood Claw Pack Leader: Chainsword

Blood Claws
4x Blood Claw: 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Chainsword, 4x Frag & Krak grenades
Blood Claw Pack Leader: Chainsword

Grey Hunters
Grey Hunter Pack Leader: Chainsword
4x Grey Hunter w/Bolt Pistol: 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Boltgun, 4x Frag & Krak grenades

+ Elites +

Wulfen
7x Thunder hammer & Stormshield: 7x Storm Shield, 7x Thunder Hammer
7x Wulfen
Wulfen Pack Leader: Frost claws

+ Heavy Support +

Land Raider Crusader: 2x Hurricane bolter, Multi-melta, Storm bolter, Twin assault cannon

++ Outrider Detachment +1CP (Imperium – Space Wolves) ++

+ HQ +

Wolf Lord: Jump Pack, Saga of the Wolfkin, Storm shield, Thunder hammer, Warlord

+ Fast Attack +

Thunderwolf Cavalry: Storm shield, Thunder hammer
Thunderwolf Cavalry: Storm shield, Thunder hammer
Thunderwolf Cavalry Pack Leader: Storm shield, Thunder hammer

++ Supreme Command Detachment +1CP (Imperium – Space Wolves) ++

+ HQ +

Bjorn the Fell-handed: Heavy flamer, Twin lascannon

Wolf Guard Battle Leader: Jump Pack, Power fist, Storm shield, The Armour of Russ

Wolf Priest: Jump Pack, Plasma pistol, Power fist

++ Total: [116 PL, 1CP, 1,997pts] ++

Edwin Negron
Edwin Negron

Id really love to see more orks vs SW battle reports with a bit more of a competitive list. Love the paint jobs

UnLachy
UnLachy

This is an older style force you are using, and I really think Intercessors jumping out of Impulsors (thunder hammer of the pack leader) with all the supporting cast (Ragnar, Wolf Priest, Battle leader etc) is how it is going to go for wolves.

Paul Butcher
Paul Butcher

That was hilarious. Most I’ve laughed in ages!

MadDokMike
MadDokMike

Bone gave the big mek a warlord trait with “field commander” stratagem, where is that from? I can´t find it anywhere. Great battlerep as usual, shame that the orks seems to struggle abit. Thank you all for the time you spend to entertain us all!

MagicMan
MagicMan

I think the game was over when Bone fired everything at that Wulfen unit, should’ve used the Morkanaut to target the Raider/Bjorn/Thunderwolf Cav and let the wulfen chug through boyz for a turn while the rest of the army hid behind the melee.

Limpbeebz
Limpbeebz

To answer to your quesrion Lawrence about what is best to run as Space Wolves. The way I found to go around the lack deliverance is to force the opponent to shoot at something else than my wulfen or TWC. I use 2 invictor tactical warsuit to put some pressure and infiltrators or incursors to gain board control early in game. Those units compensate the lack of movement the army has. For the troop choices, I would steer away from any non primaris unit. Like I said, infiltrators and incursors are really useful for board control and the incursors synergies… Read more »

MarshalKilroy
MarshalKilroy

i was 100% expecting something from PA to give SW a 3d6 charge, or no overwatch, or just SOMETHING that helps deliver wolves into combat. I am quite saddened there is not that. it is very difficult being a space wolves player when you have to get used to losing half your elite army before getting into combat. but hey, PA still gave us some fun stuff to use. The problem is that while Primaris definitely give us a buff and some extra firepower, there are so many armies that do firepower better, so if you don’t go melee heavy,… Read more »

Archmike
Archmike

WYLD BOYZ!
WYLD BOYZ! (WYLD BOYZ!) never lose fight!
WYLD BOYZ! (WYLD BOYZ!) never runz away!
WYLD BOYZ! (WYLD BOYZ!) never stop their waagh!
Wild boys always winz!

Apologies to Duran Duran…

tim whitney
tim whitney

Fun to see specialist mobs. The nicest thing about them is you don’t have to paint them differently 😂 orks vs any kind of marines is tough. I think bone should give goff skarboys a go, but I’m biased.

Christopher Wilson
Christopher Wilson

Thunderwolf Cavalry need to be dropped 5 points a model at the minimum. We need an advance and charge strat for 1 CP and/or 3 D6 charge Strat. Stormfang Gunship’s/ Stormwolf’s need a points decrease and need a 5+ invulnerable save to be playable. Long Fangs are an iconic unit with a cool strat but die to anything that looks at them. There is only 1 or 2 ways to run MONO Spacewolves at a “Competitive level”, both of which run 20+ Wulfen. Ben and team, if you’d like me to email you guys to talk Space wolves me and… Read more »

Geoffy
Geoffy

Enjoyed it, gents. Working on a dreadnought heavy (7!) SW list myself.

Jez Morris
Jez Morris

Awesome battrep guys, when you charged the wulfen in shouldn’t you have declared all targets at the same?

Gbarrett1988
Gbarrett1988

Who else tuned in for Cadmus Bane? :'( :'(

He’s probably elsewhere, playing cards with a bloodthirster or something cool.

Akrabra
Akrabra

I feel the outcome of the game was decided when that fight again happened, and I sort of wish you hadn’t done It. This was no showcase for Space Wolves really, no new gems as far as I could spot. The Orks however tested a lot of new stuff and wasn’t exactly rewarded for it. Sorry for being a downer. Would also be Interesting to see an Ork list that uses Nobz and Meganobz for their melee output. I get that boyz are cheap and you can drown enemy In dice, but they seem to bounce more often than not… Read more »

Bigj5274
Bigj5274

Just a heads up your Tcav still reroll 2s to hit even with the old wording for rerolls since our chapter trait is also a modifier. You get shock assault on heroic intervention charging or being charged. A fun tactic to do against orks is place your armor of russ character within 6 inch heroic intervention range of your important units and make their da jump boys or charging units fight last. Makes t cav or wulfen good charge bait

Wojciech Grabowski
Wojciech Grabowski

Great Battle Report, it was fun to watch you guys and clash of Wolfs vs Orks.
Would be cool to see you playing after 3 beers 🤪☠️
Try unbalanced game: 2000-2200 Grey Knight vs Bones and his Orks 2500-2700

Rannok
Rannok

glad to see the wolves on the channel im thinking the best way to solve their problem may be to give them an awesome delivery option like a strat that lets them disembark move charge on a unit but make it many cp combine that with something like the drukhari nets and I think they could then be interesting

fulgrimatic
fulgrimatic

Good on Fletcher for loaning his SW out. I wonder how a BA+SW all-melee list would do.

Bulwyf
Bulwyf

Finally some Space Wolf action! Bone, how can you turn your back on Bane? So cruel! As for the game, it was fun to watch but I totally understand Bone’s frustration. I have played SW since they became a legal army. They used to be a mixed style that favored combat but truly thrived in a mid field role. Since towards the end of 7th and all of 8th edition GW has completely thrown that out the window. We are clearly intended to be a nothing but combat army. This has serious issues with game balance. IF and this is… Read more »

ColdestNight1231
ColdestNight1231

“Would you get on with it?!?” perfectly sums up Lawrence/Chef dealing with Bone/Beard. Thank you for the quote.

John Barber
John Barber

I think Wulfen are over the top. I think they should be just a single wound or lose the shrug chance on top of that. Everything else about them I think is fine, and is effective. I think it’s ridiculous that they have such immense offensive and defensive potential at the same time where every other unit has to either make the choice, or be one or the other. I get that this in itself is what makes them unique, but correct me if I’m wrong, but classically Space Wolves have been more about close support rather than being specifically… Read more »

John Whitley
John Whitley

I’ve been curious about using Drop Pods for some alpha strike before the assaulting forces make their way up the board to get into CC. I haven’t played my SWs at all this edition to know if its even worth it, but something like 2 units of Long Fangs in one Drop Pod and a Leviathan Dreadnought in a Dread Drop Pod coming down together. The Long Fangs have some solid rules and relics that can help them out and I think they can put quite a hurting on some high priority targets before the rest of the Army gets… Read more »

michael swain
michael swain

Lawrence & Bone just to your post-log commentary and this isn’t angry internet but just genuine comments to your post-log… Bone mentioned the game balance/fun aspect of playing space wolves, as he probably didn’t have a lot of fun this game. Bone you have been playing a lot of orcs and getting rinsed, plus this corona thing is going on… I’d just point you to the game Beard and Fletcher played with wolves and the great time those guys had. To the second point Lawrence mentioned his drukhari and the speed they have. I’d just like to ask how confident… Read more »

George Fava
George Fava

Filmed this one only 2 days into quarantine? Can’t wait to see what day 14 looks like…

waterhou1
waterhou1

You really can’t allow a full unit of Wulfen to charge all your dreads and Gorkanaut. Otherwise the game is just over. Orks are decent in combat but they need the charge. You had enough grots and boyz to soak his wulfen and thunderwolf charges and screen your army a lot better with multiple screens before charging in yourself with the big stuff. Ok perhaps a little un-orky but it was the only way to make this a game. While I accept this was to showcase the Space Wolves its a bit disheartening that the Orks have been tabled twice… Read more »

Ken Mulkey
Ken Mulkey

I believe Arjac takes half damage

ghostvalley
ghostvalley

Perfect. Just what the Doctork ordered.

Runedcow
Runedcow

Poor Arjac. Would’ve survived that blast with his -1 dmg from The Anvil Shield. Great game though!

I think wolves are in pretty good shape with PA, but a bit limited when it comes to good army builds. Primaris troops in Impulsors are definitely the way to go in order to secure board control. Combine those with a max squad of wulfen & thunderwolves, add Ragnar and sprinkly your own flavor of hard-hitting characters on top, and you should be good to go.

Movement – especially character movement – is the key to victory.

musin valerie
musin valerie

one day orks will win a bat rep .

Bobabear
Bobabear

Great game! Love seeing The wolfs in action. Keep up The great work in this strange times..

Chris healy
Chris healy

And at that point………” They’re getting tasty in my kitchen”

Sébastien ANDRIEUX
Sébastien ANDRIEUX

Though not the most competitive SM army I think the Wolves are on par with yhe BA. The point is that even if Wulfen are a great unit, they never hit combat. So 2 options: 1 – put other threats on the table that can’t be ignored and give them time to make it: Invictors are really good at it. 2 – forget the Wulfen and play the Wolves as the “1 man” character army they are. Characters stacking attacks and buffs between them are the best thing of this codex, Murderfang is just amazingly powerful and fast, the WG… Read more »

Krisztián Vizsy
Krisztián Vizsy

Thanks for the game 🙂 Despite being an Ork player I was happy to see the Space Wolves doing great. I love the army and would love to see them more often in the competitive scene. Unfortunately the new supplement does not really change the position of neither of the armies significantly. I don’t really know Space wolves, I just wonder without any real knowledge. Could they somehow benefit from using Drop Pods (together with the +2 charge litany)? Small things for next time to give the Orks a bit better chance 😉 – Shokk Attack Gun does D3 mortal… Read more »

Sébastien ANDRIEUX
Sébastien ANDRIEUX

Arjac is alive!!!! Indeed he was, as he reduces the number of wounds suffered by 1, to a minimum of 1. And as he took 1+(4-1)=4, he was still on 1 wound!!!

And by the way the Spider forgot that the assault doctrne reduces melee weapons AP by 1, so no save for the monstrocity against the thunder hammer!!!

Great game anyway, and a real pleasure to see my beloved SW after such a long time!

Leroy_Infinity
Leroy_Infinity

Bone, you traitor! May Cadamus and his one true love haunt you in your sleep!

Tropic Thunder
Tropic Thunder

Thanks for the Saga game. Great to see both armies playing with some new toys, especially as I can’t receive the new book yet on account of the warehouse shutdown. 🙁 Because I don’t have the book and am relying solely on what was released by GW, has the 0CP Knowledge of the Foe stratagem changed wording from what’s shown on the GW Space Wolves preview page? According to the wording there, any SW model that kills an enemy character can trigger the stratagem, not only SW characters. If that’s the case, Lawrence could’ve gained 1CP when the Wulfen killed… Read more »

Vander0
Vander0

Bring Back the Wolf Guard Bikers! Scary amount of shots and Storm shield made a big unit of the formidable. And maybe Long Fangs with Las/Missile for first turn damage but I agree Wolves tend to get mowed down midfield and struggle to bring the Wulfen and Dreads into combat consistently. Fun game to watch, love a bloodbath, you’re due a win with the Orks Bone!

Ricky50

I used Wolf Guard Bikers with SB/SS for mobility before the were taken from the codex. Now with the Skilled Riders stratagem, I think Scout Bikers and Swift Claws are great options depending on what you need in your list (better BS vs more attacks). I agree that Sky Claws are another option if you keep them cheap and bring a large pack with support from a Wolf Priest. I also vouch for SB/SS Wolf Guard Terminators. They are slow but they are very resilient and have dakka for days! (and a +1 to hit stratagem)…

James Holder
James Holder

Great game again guys

boothyp
boothyp

Aw Lawrence,
Just wait till day 22 of isolation with the moustache……….

skovira88
skovira88

I’m still watching it but at 40:48 you guys were clearly practicing social distancing lolz

Mário Lopes
Mário Lopes

I understand the problems you guys talk about it(the problem to get in combat quickly, avoid overwatch, avoid be shoot out of the board, etc) since im a SW player and i felt it all the time. I don’t think i will be easy balance and for me the only way is to mix old SW with Primary units ( vanguard) like supressors to avoit overwatch for example. For example with rune priest in phobos armor + a normal priest you can stack sime modifiers against range attacks( – 1 from the stratagema aura plus – 1 hit on a… Read more »

Casper Rasmussen
Casper Rasmussen

Poor bone, can`t even go to the pub, only the tavern……with spiders in it

Nathan Fogarty
Nathan Fogarty

as always good fun, dont think there is a balanced fix for melee based armys without changing game mechanics, am suprised pa didnt increase movement at least on cav which would help, have often thought that a possible fix for wolves would be complete rebuild to operate as horde? noticed bjorn was hitting las on 3s, he is bs2 and arjac reduces damage by 1 so think he survived overwatch wih 1 w left? i often use a stormwolf, never really considerated crusader think ill give it a go

Corruption
Corruption

You mention delivery methods for the Space Wolves – would drop pods be an option now they can arrive turn 1? Not sure whether Wulfen can be deployed that way – could be an option though.

Karlosdjackle

Lads. Have you look into bloodclaws/skyclaws a bit more. I think they’re being overlooked a bit. If you outflank/deepstrike them in turn 3 they can be so powerful. They can get as many attacks as a squad of deathcompany on the charge. I really think they can be a competitive option with the way you can buff them. They can really turn the game around for you in turn 3 if you can hold them back.

Maeglin
Maeglin

This is gonna be interesting and I’m currently building Wolves and Orks at the same time by happenstance.

The tactical cunning of the Spider Vs the sheer Orky magnetism of Bone. Who will win? Guess I’ll find out soon 😂