Warhammer 40,000 Battle Report: Death Guard vs Space Wolves 2000pts

Avatar Tabletop Tactics May 16, 202030  131 30 Likes

Bone gets to chance to run a combat blob of Plague Marines, but will they be tough enough to hold against the ferocity of Spider and the Wolves of Fenris?

Want even more Tabletop Tactics videos? Sign up for On Demand here: https://tabletoptactics.tv/membership-account/membership-levels/

*FOR FLETCHER’S SPACE WOLVES*

The Space Wolves are painted by the talented @fletchers_painting – find him on Instagram!

The Army Lists are:

Death Guard

++ Battalion Detachment ++

+ HQ +

Daemon Prince of Nurgle: Warlord- Arch-Contaminator, Relic- The Suppurating Plate, 2x Malefic Talons, Wings, Powers- Putrescent Vitality

Daemon Prince of Nurgle: 2x Malefic Talons, Wings, Powers-Miasma of Pestilence

+ Elites +

Biologus Putrifier

Foul Blightspawn

Noxious Blightbringer: Gifts of Decay- Dolorous Knell

++ Outrider Detachment ++

+ HQ +

Daemon Prince of Nurgle: 2x Malefic Talons, Wings, Powers- Blades of Putrefaction

Sorcerer: Force Sword, Bolt Pistol, Powers- Miasma of Pestilence, Putrescent Vitality

+ Fast Attack +

Myphitic Blight-hauler

Myphitic Blight-hauler

Myphitic Blight-hauler

++ Total: 1,994pts ++

Space Wolves

++ Battalion Detachment ++

+ HQ +

Bjorn the Fell-handed: Twin Lascannon, Heavy Flamer

Wolf Guard Battle Leader: Power Fist, Storm Shield, Jump Pack

Wolf Lord: Warlord- Saga of the Wolfkin, Relic- The Armour of Russ, Thunder hammer, Storm Shield, Jump Pack

+ Troops +

Wolf Guard Pack Leader in Terminator Armour: Thunder Hammer, Storm Shield
4x Wolf Guard in Terminator Armour: Thunder Hammer, Storm Shield

+ Heavy Support +

5x Long Fangs
Long Fang Pack Leader: Chainsword, Boltgun
4x Long Fang: Lascannon

Relic Leviathan Dreadnought: Leviathan Siege Claw, Meltagun, 2x Heavy Flamer, Storm Cannon Array

++ Outrider Detachment ++

+ HQ +

Arjac Rockfist

Rune Priest: Runic Axe, Bolt Pistol, Jump Pack, Powers- Living Lightning, Murderous Hurricane

+ Fast Attack +

9x Fenrisian Wolves

8x Fenrisian Wolves

6x Thunderwolf Cavalry
Thunderwolf Cavalry Pack Leader: Thunder Hammer, Storm Shield
5x Thunderwolf Cavalry: Thunder Hammer, Storm Shield

++ Total: 1,995pts ++

MasterWis
MasterWis

1 squad of terminators and thunderwolf cavalry wiped in 1 turn with Grenades – Most hilarious stuff I have seen in a while

Geoffhoiting
Geoffhoiting

Amazing batrep once again! A lot of fun to watch and really tense. Small catch for the BBone… The Suppurating Plate doesn’t go off on the save rolls itself. For each successful save roll you have to roll a D6 again. Only on a 4+ the enemy model that inflicted the wounds gets a mortal wound. So Arjack could have lived 😉 In the end it wouldn’t’ve made a big difference but it’s a small thing to know for future games. Keep up the awesome work lads.

Colby Pryor
Colby Pryor

Never mind. Answered my own question.

Michael 'The Scorpion'
Michael 'The Scorpion'

I’m starting to feel really sorry for the Spider… Bone and Chef banning him from writing any lists is pretty rough! 🙁

Optimisticpaint
Optimisticpaint

Aaaaaauuurgh! The crazy Nurgle grenade ability is so horrible. Lost a Voidraven to this horror.

Huw Tindall
Huw Tindall

Just what the lockdown doctor ordered! Good old fashioned slug fest with chaos and explosions. You’re efforts have been so inspiring I stand outside and clap every Friday evening at 8pm.

Wolves looking interesting now but still a bit off tournament competitive. Definitely a fun list to play by the looks of things with a trick or two up their sleeves. Very interested to see Bone’s combat blob as well. Some serious wound output and a different build from standard DG.

PS you should have shaved Bone’s back hair as well!

Thomas Kirchner
Thomas Kirchner

Why hasn‘t anybody mentioned the obvious solution to the Spider-musn‘t-write-lists-Bone-just-isn‘t-able-to-conundrum? Let Beard write all the lists from home!

Hear me out!

Don‘t give him the Codices, don‘t let him use the internet or even his glasses for that matter. Just let him scribble sth like ”A Baddelion of cool shooty stuff with a badass warlord …“ – he could even do pictures, if necessary.

Then when it’s setup time, just walk along your modells with Beards hand written letter fresh out of the envelope and let the fun begin!

Serpent
Serpent

Shouldn’t the 6’s do triple hits when Spider played the Strat on his Wolf Lord? I think it stacks with our Super Doctrine..? That could’ve dented the Plague Marine counter a bit. And could any of the units have targetted the Blightbringer in the great melee?

(And don’t forget the 0CP Strat for killing characters. Recycling!)

Really entertaining and eye-opening. This morning, I dug out a sprue of Jump Packs to upgrade a few of my 13th Company characters.

Jonny Lectitio
Jonny Lectitio

What a dope bat rep guys, quality as always. That grenade strategem along with the character is soo brutal, had no idea that existed. Towards the end there when Arjac went into the daemon prince, he doesn’t have the minus from his hammer, but the prince still had miasma on him so the 2 wouldn’t have hit. Don’t know if it made a difference and was epic either way. Cheers!

Jonathan LaCross
Jonathan LaCross

Excellent game! Maybe Space Wolves VS Tyranids next, please? Oh and Sigourney Weaver should play her 😉

Bellchump
Bellchump

Fun match-up guys. Hopefully starting a Death Guard army myself once things have settled down. Regarding the Melee death guard, I haven’t got a lot of experience playing melee armies, but I think there is definitely something about running a few less than optimised models in a melee unit as collateral. I cant remember many games where a whole unit of stealers / zerkers / whatever has got into combat.

Bulwyf
Bulwyf

I was going to comment earlier but the every time I tried to post another vehicle explosion would knock me back from the keyboard. Outstanding game!

James Pickering
James Pickering

Quality stuff -cheers boys!

Also that big building terrain is so good.

Martin Lawson
Martin Lawson

Love the battle report always fun watching you two guys play cant wait for more and hopefully youll do a space wolves tactica 😀 , just one small point I think when using Touch of the Wild rolls of 6’s while in assault doc confer two extra hits instead of just the one for savage fury and sagas only unlock after the phase they were acheived in. Also thankyou for keeping me sane during lock down.

Samuel Rowland
Samuel Rowland

This was one of my favourite batreps. Plenty of drama with the explosions and combat!

Can I also say that Bone is putting some really good lists together. He might occasionally whiff with his dice rolls, but not with his understanding of SACRED 🙂

SilverShire
SilverShire

Great report guys! Just thing to note Lawrence, I believe that once the deed of legend for the Warlord’s saga is competed, the buff turns into an aura at the end of the phase its completed not immediately

Nébal
Nébal

EXPLOSIONS !
That was great.

RobFromFenris
RobFromFenris

Wolf time!

James Woodward
James Woodward

I have neither of those armies but this is possibly the best battle report I’ve seen.

Philippe Boulanger
Philippe Boulanger

@Bone Obviously Beyonce. She can do the theme song.

Awesome game. So many explosions !

intimeforchristmas@gmail.com
intimeforchristmas@gmail.com

Hey Chef, how board are you without the antics of Bone in your life?

D J kiepura
D J kiepura

Grrrrrrrreaaat bat rep. I was howling with laughter. 😀

Sgt. Ophaniel Drexus, 1st Legio Astartes
Sgt. Ophaniel Drexus, 1st Legio Astartes

I totally agree with you both regarding the never ending chase for a great competitive army. I am a relative newbie to 40k and played my first game just before covid closed everything. But I enjoy building and painting although I am not at your calibre. I just finished around 3000 pts of deathwing.. just started on a new deathwatch army.

I watch you non stop all day every day. Love the new tactica reports. I only have one ask….

Please please please….. stop bone attempting to sing!

All my best

TheGravyBoater
TheGravyBoater

YES both of my armies in a battle report!

on the wolves front i would have ran another relic specifically the wolf tail talisman so your oppo -2 to cast

Please please get some primaris reinforcements for the wolves you’re practically playing 7th edition lists!

Patrick Kargol
Patrick Kargol

Would love to see some primaris additions to the space wolves force and maybe a tactica batrep with them. Seems like the spider likes playing the wolves!

Serpent
Serpent

Bone, your description if the Mission Parameters could probably land you a gig at an airline company, doing the safety instructions.

Tropic Thunder
Tropic Thunder

Very entertaining batrep, guys! I’m always a fan of melee v melee 40K battles, so this ticked all the boxes for me.

As I’m not familiar with Death Guard, I can’t believe they have a stratagem that enables a blob of 11+ Plague Marines to throw their grenades at once. Astra Militarum and Genestealer Cults cap grenade lobs at 10. That the Plague Marines can top that is insane….

Steven Farragher
Steven Farragher

Loved the bat rep you guys keep up the good work.
One minor thing, wouldn’t it have been better to take the wolf tail talisman on the rune priest instead of the armour of Russ on the wolf lord? The minus 2 to cast would have come up a lot in this game?

Jonathan Page
Jonathan Page

That was so much fun! I loved the banter and how close it was. I was worried the space wolves had it in the bag, but that grenade bomb – woof

Andy Littletoof

Wow that grenade bomb was sweeet.

There’s only one sports entertainer with the chops to be Bone’s love interest in the movie – EL BEARDO!

Jon Cook
Jon Cook

Will Ferrell to play bones love interest in the movie. . . but he has to play the Elf character 5 years after his wife has left him and this is what his life has become.

Jake W
Jake W

I think Bone’s Zooey Deschanel should be Rachel Taylor (from Jessica Jones). Its a suitable beauty and the beast match up.

Björn Karlsson
Björn Karlsson

Such an epic game! 😀

Emma Chapple
Emma Chapple

Oh no b none.. I wanted to see you run the list you posted the other day. Nvm tho awesome batrep as always keep up the good work.

Nicholas Lucas
Nicholas Lucas

Mr Bone your list writing is spectacular, all of these games have been so close, great job.

Also first time seeing that Death Guard grenade bomb in action and I LOVED it, so epic.

Ian Buchanan
Ian Buchanan

As a Space Wolves player I love Bones passion for them!

Nick Guthrie
Nick Guthrie

Absolute brutality in the midboard, loved it. Hammer vs anvil

Great game, I enjoyed it a lot!
@Bone, if I remember correctly (been a long while since I last played DG) Typhus is a Lord of Contagion so he has a 7″ aura that do mortal wounds to unit in contact with DG models or something like that… it seems to me that you forgot to use it, and sometimes it grants you that single mortal wound that you need, all the more if you are in such a big melee since you can bounce multiple MW on the same unit from different sources.
Thank you for the batrep!

Jack Whorton
Jack Whorton

Enjoyed this one, Lawrence in particular seemed to be in good spirits (or maybe drinking good spirits?). KUTGW guys, helping keeping us sane even if you aren’t!

Jamess9
Jamess9

Bone, with the plague marine blob, don’t you also want a Tallyman near by to allow all hits to be re-rolled too? So that way they are re-rolling all hits AND all wounds (because of arch contaminator). Maybe you will cover that in the Vox though.
Thanks for the great game, guys!

Tarantoga
Tarantoga

little bit to much of “competitive bashing” this time for me and i am nowhere near a meta chasing player. but i rly like your narrative stuff and i absolutly love your tacticas.

the lists werent my cup of tea this time, especially the wolves list 🙁 incredible to get a fun to watch battle report out of it anyways. thank you guys for your great work!

WitchDoctor
WitchDoctor

at the 4:00 mark… that had a texture I could feel from here

Matthew

Would it have made more sense to hold the Terminators until turn 3 then they’d be in the assault doctrine when they were on the board?

Martinb
Martinb

Love the intro. Film could just be called ‘Not Elfy Enough’ – cos you know, Nurgle…..

Bigj5274
Bigj5274

When I saw bones vix cast about combat deathguard army first thing I thought is I’d love to pit my space wolves against it then you guys come out with this badass report

James Holder
James Holder

OMG great game guys my favourite for some time and is saying something!
Those grenades are brutal thought that they had got you the game bone!
Keep up the good work 👍👍👍

Liam Harvey
Liam Harvey

You guys really are troopers for keeping this volume of work up! Much appreciated!

Michael Wemken
Michael Wemken

VICTORY FOR RUSS AND THE ALLFATHER. Now that was a good n proper blood/snot-bath. And bravo, Spider. You commanded the Wolves well. Loved your cagey tactics early on. So many players want to rush forward to make combat asap but the Wolves are designed to hunt and ambush. None of that Khornate nonsense outside of Wulfen or Blood Claws. And holy hell, touch of the wild can get silly. Especially on the new and improved Ragnar. Which, btw, I’m very excited to see him and hopefully some new primaris units representing the Wolves soon. Vet Intercessors with hammers or fists… Read more »

Commodore
Commodore

Nurgling: Instead of travelling across the forest of twirly whirly gumdrops you could travel the “Theven Thenthational Thalty Theas!” Maybe meet Theven Thalty Thailorth along the way!!!

Also on a side note, was something wrong with the camera filters or lenses or something when you filmed this? Lawerence’s red dice look very blue on the film 🤔

felix xerxes Crabtree
felix xerxes Crabtree

so happy to see the dguard getting played! love it!

im still not sure the plague marine blob is really better than the 10 blightlords, having wounds more spread across more models and having kind of more mobility is nice but loosing the 2+4++ is rough and really its all about the plague flails, 2d3 extra attacks is really meaningful especially when buffed and with the d3 attacks per DTFE