Warhammer 40,000 Tactica Report: Ynnari vs Death Guard 2000pts

Avatar Tabletop Tactics June 6, 202025  79 25 Likes

Spider brings out the Ynnari, but will they be able to overcome Bone and the Death Guard in this Tactica?!

Want even more Tabletop Tactics videos? Sign up for On Demand here: https://tabletoptactics.tv/membership-account/membership-levels/

The Army Lists are:

10x Wraithblades: Ghostaxe, Forceshield

+ Fast Attack +

9x Shining Spears
Shining Spear Exarch: Star Lance, Twin Shuriken Catapult
8x Shining Spears

+ Dedicated Transport +

Wave Serpent: Twin Shuriken Cannon, Shuriken Cannon, Star Engines, Vectored Engines

++ Spearhead Detachment ++

Craftworld Attribute: Ynnari

+ HQ +

Autarch Skyrunner: Warlord- Warden of Souls, Artefact of Death- Hungering Blade, Shuriken Pistol

The Visarch

+ Heavy Support +

Falcon: Aeldari Missile Launcher, Shuriken Cannon, Crystal Targeting Matrix

Falcon: Aeldari Missile Launcher, Shuriken Cannon, Crystal Targeting Matrix

Falcon: Aeldari Missile Launcher, Shuriken Cannon, Crystal Targeting Matrix

++ Total: 2,000pts ++

Death Guard

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Chaos – Death Guard) ++

+ HQ +

Sorcerer: 1. Miasma of Pestilence, 5. Putrescent Vitality, 6. Arch-Contaminator, Bolt pistol, Force sword, Warlord

Typhus: 2. Gift of Contagion, 4. Blades of Putrefaction

++ Super-Heavy Auxiliary Detachment (Chaos – Death Guard) ++

+ Lord of War +

Mortarion: 4. Blades of Putrefaction, 6. Curse of the Leper

++ Supreme Command Detachment +1CP (Chaos – Thousand Sons) ++

Cults of the Legion: Cult of Magic

+ Stratagems +

Relics of the Thousand Sons (1 Relic)

+ HQ +

Daemon Prince of Tzeentch: Arcane Focus, Death Hex, Devastating Sorcery, Infernal Gateway, Magister, Malefic talon, Wings

Daemon Prince of Tzeentch: Gaze of Fate, Malefic talon, Warptime, Wings

Exalted Sorcerer: Force stave, Inferno Bolt Pistol, Tzeentch’s Firestorm, Weaver of Fates

++ Total: [116 PL, -2CP, 2,000pts] ++

James Bowles
James Bowles

Do you think Harlequins make good ynnari or are the better off with the Harlequins masque forms?

danielxreynolds
danielxreynolds

blades of putrefaction goes off on a 5 not a 6. you manifested it at the end Bone.

MasterWis
MasterWis

Great Tactica. Love new format. I have to say Bbone, you made me love (from hate) again the death guard with this type of list and playstyle, really great. Same with the Tau with the recent Bat rep with Farsight Enclave. Keep it up.

Kiploners
Kiploners

Typhus >>> Morty

Zachary Fickle
Zachary Fickle

We just gonna gloss over the fact that Typhus rolled five 6s? Absolute boss

Philippe Boulanger
Philippe Boulanger

I was so nervous before that crucial charge Bone ! I litteraly fist pumped alone while doing the dishes when you got that roll. I may be too into it…

Pete Cole
Pete Cole

The benefit, of course, of doing the list runthrough on your own, is that you are free to use “bedallion” LIKE A NORMAL PERSON without fear of censure. Bone, I can sense you’re on the fence. One tactica you do, the next you don’t, then you start correcting yourself. Just give in…

ColdestNight1231
ColdestNight1231

Bone, have you seen the DG preview? 1 CP give Plague Marines an extra attack with Plague Knives. Looks like DG are getting a much needed upgrade.

Shaun Garrett
Shaun Garrett

Good watch. As ever, an absolute pleasure to watch.
Bone, i’m intrigued by this list. I don’t think you played Morty aggressively enough though, not sure why you brought him back in the second turn as Typhus and the DPs would have been the counter punch so to speak. In a list like this, the plague bomb and Sorcerers are the hitters if Morty is the DC so you needed to get him in to keep the poxwalkers around long enough for the others to creep closer.
Definitely suffered without any firepower but the dice seem to always betray you.

Ruggiero Lo Sardo
Ruggiero Lo Sardo

I loved this game! The first 3 turns were super interesting. I think the combat death guard could work if you swap Mortarion for 2 knights. You can kit them out to be very fast. At that point maybe drop the thousand sons and use nugrlings as an extra screen. With the last update they are very resilient

Studious Abandon
Studious Abandon

Great game! Thanks for matching up two “non-traditional” competitive lists. The explanation and exploration of your thoughts during the game was spot on.

Technically I love the current format, the top down views, the graphics, the sounds, absolutely spot on.

jake rowsell
jake rowsell

I like the new tactica format, but one tiny tweak I’d appreciate: After the intro, showing the options for army A, army B and to the battle again. Or at the start having a “skip intro” to go to that selection point. The reason for me being that I enjoy the intro, but am not really invested in either army so after the intro I’d like to have the option of going to the battle. Just my personal take

Zombiemaker
Zombiemaker

As always another entertaining battle. Would have liked to see Bone use curse of the walking dead(one of my favourite stratigems in a Typhus/poxwalker horde) before smiting all those banshees, would’ve got another 10 models into that squad. But easy to armchair general.

Looking forward to the new Lore series too!

chaoticflanagan
chaoticflanagan

Just some general thoughts: -Forgetting Typhus’s “Nurgle’s Gift” ability and Mortaron’s “Host of Plagues” ability. Hard to tell on camera and likely not overly impactful but i feel like it would have gone off from both of them against the Howling Banshees. -You’re paying 32 points for an exalted sorcerer over a normal sorcerer that does absolutely nothing for this list except get a reroll ability that’s not relevant and +1 wound. You’d have been better served with a terminator sorcerer. Or upgrade that nurgle sorcerer to a plaguecaster.  -Using Mortarian to sit on a point means you’re playing this game… Read more »

Nathan Whitchurch
Nathan Whitchurch

Hey Bone, For a mostly pure DG I really do think you are there when it comes to the best this can do with the big CC blob that is set on also including Mortarian. As always for DG, the fast armies are going to be an issue no matter what. As you said I would drop the Putrifier as the grenade gimmick while great when it goes off, is so rare and generally not to hard for the opponent to play around he isn’t worth the 60pts + CP. Having looked it over I was wondering if it might… Read more »

Nébal
Nébal

I think Lawrence should be called “Wawence” from now on as punishment for the incredibly bad luck he inflicts on Bone.

I’m with you, Bone.

Although, I’m a noob, and a bad one, but I don’t get why Mortarion was kept back for so long, that seemed to me a sudden change of plans which couldn’t really pay off? This is no critic from my part, but an honest if naive question.

Anyway, thank your for your show, as ever.

Martin Wells
Martin Wells

As spider says the thousand sons are going to cast a kamehameha just epic , bravo just bravo

Viktor
Viktor

Great game, hands down one of the most entertaining you’ve lately produced. I was really happy to see those Shining Spears back as well as Aeon Sule on the jetbike. What made this game, was in fact, that you both had lists with huge handicaps and had to outsmart one another to win every little advantage. I’m glad you gave up on single faction DG Tactica, cuz they are bottom tier rn, but taking Ynnari as a standalone is like shooting yourself in the leg. Any list can perform well in the tournament if piloted by a skilled player, but… Read more »

Jeffrey Pearson
Jeffrey Pearson

Great game guys! I half expected bones “I’m turning into a plant!” Clip after this one at the end… great game great effort. Keep kicking ass TTT!

Jamess9
Jamess9

Hi Bone, you played the game very well. Conceptually, I think building the list around the marines is a good idea and you should continue with that. A few suggestions around changing the list: Mortarian is too expensive and just dies. Instead take 3 PBCs and you’ll have change to spare. You can use PBCs to further block the marines. That’s 36 T8 wounds with DR to get through – much hardier than Morty. Even if they just park on objectives its still a better investment (imo). The plague marine blob – imo you should try taking them but *only… Read more »

Last edited 4 months ago by Jamess9
James Frost
James Frost

Good bat-rep as ever, bone definitely had some bad luck but theres also room for a few changes in the DG list. I think your right that Biologus’ grenade combo is just too niche for him to make points back in most games, switching him out for 12 more poxwalkers is probably a good move as they’re so key for protecting your characters as well. Mortarion is also just too much work for too little pay off, hes reliant on your enemy deploying near you and getting that turn 1 or 2 charge, against a mobile list like he’ll always… Read more »

Chaos_M
Chaos_M

Try a Tallyman warlord with Arch Contaminator and Fugaris’ Helm. Makes both the to hit and to wound auras 10″ (see the DG faq). Actually, did you forget your free relic on the Death Guard this game?

You can take a 2k list with Mortarion, 6 small 5 man melee Plague Marine squads, 6 Rhinos, a Tallyman (AC & FH), 4 cheap HQs. You lose the grenade combo, but you remain very strong in melee by just keeping in 10″ range of the Tallyman.

Col Tyborc
Col Tyborc

I listened why you have moved Mortarion back in I believe 2nd turn but I don’t understand why you still did that…, because with that defensive movement, you just denied your primary tactic for having him as damage magnet. If you would stick with 1st turn tactic to either let him move (and potentially charge) either left side with Wraithblades or right side with flyers (as you planned), Lawrence would be forced to put everything into Mortarion which could end badly but maybe not as Mortarion is not particularly weak. It would most likely preserve your pox walkers blobs guarding… Read more »

Last edited 4 months ago by Col Tyborc
Bortbortbort
Bortbortbort

Really enjoying your reports, but this one felt oddly non-interactive… I watched (listened to) it while painting, and my takeaway is ‘not much happened in Bone’s turns and then he conceded’… I guess it was the matchup.

Keep up the great work!

PS: can’t you get the other guys in via zoom or something? Maybe El Beardo interviews you on your turns? That would be hillarious

Björn Karlsson
Björn Karlsson

Just a question, but can you really take the arcane focus relic from the cult of magic? I thought he had to be the warlord to get access to the relic. I think thats states in the FAQ aswell.

Ross Penfold
Ross Penfold

Hi Guys, don’t often comment but just a shout to say really grateful for all the content you have been dropping through these crazy times. Its helped me get through furlough, which is otherwise a dull beast! And your reports are always great (whichever format!). I have been building up a death guard force which i hope to start taking to tournaments when all this is done. I have been routing for Bones combat blob to get the W. But after watching a few reports i think it may need too much to go right to be consistently strong. Appreciate… Read more »

BradyR
BradyR

Format request: I love the updated format. I do have one request for you to consider… when displaying the victory and command points for a player, would it be possible to also display the opponents points on the same graphic? I was thinking the points for the other player could be displayed smaller and in the background making it obvious which player is the “active” one. Just think it would be helpful to compare points for each player after every turn. Something to think about, keep up the great work!!!!!

fulgrimatic
fulgrimatic

Add an age-verified subscription tier so we can hear all the curses Bone hurls at Lawrence uncensored. Pubs opening soon? I know I need a drink.

DakkaJoe07
DakkaJoe07

As this is a tactica, I’ll offer one man’s detailed opinion. After the wave serpent moved into the face of the poxwalkers in Lawrence’s turn 1, smiting it to death in retaliation was not beneficial. I feel like the more optimal play would’ve been to use it as a charge target to gain free movement across the whole army. The banshees were going to get the charge regardless. In addition before smiting the banshees and charging into the wraith blades, drop 1 cp on dead walk again and try to Regen your poxwalkers. Even if you just got them back… Read more »

angelousD
angelousD

I wanted to see Mortarion die!!! 🙂 Great game I loved the Wraithseer and I had never seen the Visarch so that was fun. Bone you crack me up man. GG

Gerald Cloud
Gerald Cloud

Bone were you rolling for your tallyman cp refunds of camera?

Zaius
Zaius

I’m just not sold on that big combat blob because unless you are playing someone dependent on fight phase too it’s so hard to get them into the mix effectively. It would be cool to see this army fight the studio World Eaters. I just think Death Guard have so many other units that can do work this is just to “all eggs in one basket” my Eldar fought a similar in local tourney and my San Haim tore them up. It’s a frightful sight but cagey play like Lawerence did with those shinning spears is just clutch with Eldar… Read more »

Tomatoes
Tomatoes

Im at the end of turn 2. I think Bone should have YOLO’d Morty into the wraiths this turn instead of moving back. Host of plagues and that many units it would have been worth. Morty is unreal in CC

Danny Fahy
Danny Fahy

couldn’t believe we didn’t get to see the final fight with morty but I understand bone had had enough. I’ve never seen anyone work as hard to convince people he’s lost as bone. Chin up man, you’ll never get that stroke of amazing luck if you don’t try it. Some hindsight questions for you there, Was there a reason you didn’t try to charge the bikes with some more characters? I may be wrong but did you warptime morty when you moved him up? was that the sorcerer’s power if so very important to keep him central as if you’d… Read more »

orcspit
orcspit

Hey Bone, have you considered a Blob of 10 Blightlords with two Flails instead of the 15 Plague Marines? Its a bit more expensive (but you would drop the Putrifier anyway since they don’t have grenades) the nice thing is you would get 32 Storm Bolter shots from them every turn as they move up the board so it gives you a bit more offensive output. Because they have base 2 Attacks in melee you end up with the same number attacks. But instead of 15 wounds you would have 20 wounds in the squad and you get the tasty… Read more »

Estoph
Estoph

Good god. A couple more games like this and Bone won’t wait to be off camera before he starts calling Lawrence different things.

Lector27
Lector27

Just wanna say the new tactica format is next level ?? – never felt so involved in the tactics of the game as it progresses, cheers!

Hrimfar
Hrimfar

Lawrence would be hitting on 2+ in melee most of the time! It’s like ynnaris only bonus!

Seth Pruter
Seth Pruter

Can someone with more experience help me determine what Bone could’ve done to win the game? The luck seemed pretty even and the way deployment happened I could not see any pivotal mistake he made. Lastly I don’t think getting blades would’ve changed much as all of those characters were exposed by that point. Does he just need to tweak the list?

George Fava
George Fava

I feel like everyone who has played against Eldar at one point in time has had a moment like Bone did…”they also get a 4++??”. It’s the Eldar Frustration 😉

Exalted Sorcerer Josh
Exalted Sorcerer Josh

Be careful with those Astral Blasts Bone, they can hurt your own units with friendly fire! My honest thoughts on the Death Guard list: I think you can make the combat blob work, but you need a way to threaten damage turn 1. Mortarion may not have been the best choice to complement the blob because his turn one threat can be avoided through effective deployment. Why don’t you try swapping him out for three plagueburst crawlers with plaguespitters and use those as an additional “screen” along with the poxwalkers? Plagueburst crawlers can ignore line of sight, they are difficult… Read more »

Last edited 4 months ago by Exalted Sorcerer Josh
Alex Park
Alex Park

Mr spider, apologies if this was pointed out later and I missed it, but unbind souls is cast on an enemy unit, and works like craftspeople doom but for melee, not on a friendly unit (you cast it on the spears at about 40 mins in). unless they FAQ’d this? or I’m going insane?

Lewis Prenty
Lewis Prenty

Great game to watch, cheers for keeping the content going I really enjoyed seeing the “new” combat Eldar units but I was wondering if running then as craftworlds might get the same results? I’m not the most clued up on the yanari powers and strategams but to me it looked like the bonus to wound strategams could be replicated with doom and empower? Going craftworld would also get quicken and jinx/protect into the mix along with all the craftworld traits. I guess Yanari might be more reliable using strategams that are harder to counter than physic powers for the buffs… Read more »

Lasse Dahl
Lasse Dahl

Great game! BBone needs better dice though 😉

Thomas Kirchner
Thomas Kirchner

Great game as ever! Thanks guys!

To your question, Bone: The one think Eldar don‘t get is love. They don‘t get LOVE!

And isn‘t it all about love?

[Spoiler: It‘s about rate of fire, access to decent troop choices and mortal wound output — not about love at all]

moonalex17
moonalex17

Greetings from across the pond, are you guys planning on doing any Apocalypse games in the future? (granted its kinda hard with the Rona still going on)

BradyR
BradyR

Bone you need to find Grotti and rub his belly – he is the only one that can save you from the horrible dice rolling curse the mean ol’ Spider has placed upon you! ? ? ouch… I love the Deathguard, but they just seem to be lacking right now. Bone, I’d give up on the grenade strat – at least in tactica. I’ve resorted to PBC’s and dreads to provide some fire power, because without it plague marines just don’t cut it. Just no way to deal with those eldar flying units with ranged weapons. They just skim around… Read more »

Last edited 4 months ago by BradyR
Carl Jette
Carl Jette

Nothing to do with this batrep, but I was thinking after this pandemic is over, it would be nice if you did a massive game with all the TTT guys. It’s not what you usually do but i’d watch that once in a while even if it’s like 6 hours long.

Warp5p1d3r
Warp5p1d3r

i’d love for you guys to do a voxcast on the upcoming 9th edition. from what i’ve seen on the community site i don’t think wither of these armies will be relevant in the next edition.

Colin Clarke
Colin Clarke

Well until Lawrence’s third turn, I thought Bone had that in the bag. I’m sure some of those little characters couldn’t have been shot at though as Mortarion must have been closer than some of them…