Tabletop Tactics Hobby Vox Cast: Lawrence ‘The Spider’ Baker

Avatar Tabletop Tactics March 12, 202015  64 15 Likes

Bone sits down with Lawrence to discuss his origins in the hobby and how he created Tabletop Tactics.

Want even more Tabletop Tactics videos? Sign up for On Demand here: https://tabletoptactics.tv/membership-account/membership-levels/

For custom high quality terrain: https://javelin-terrain.com

Apathetic11B

Love these origin videos! Sitting down and learning more about the team makes the battle reports and banter even better to me. Makes me feel more like part of the team!

DPBear
DPBear

Fantastic interview Bone, very interesting to understand where TT evolved from and Spiders background. Following you guys for a few years now and looking forward to seeing you guys expand into AOS soon. Keep up the great work and stay safe in these dark times.

CharlesDexterWard
CharlesDexterWard

So you are really just a Harlequin Troope come to play your parts in a game for us all to enjoy.

Bulwyf
Bulwyf

I have been a supporter for well over a year and loved this interview. I do have one question. I know the only army in 40k that is not a studio army are my beloved Space Wolves. I know Ben has his own army of them. When we will see Space Wolves return to the channel as a studio or Ben army?

Geoffy
Geoffy

Happy paying customer here! Thanks for the insight into who you guys are and how you got to where TTT currently stands! Really enjoying your videos in the heady times.

Henrikki Uosukainen
Henrikki Uosukainen

You guys do awesome job! Love to support you. Was nice to hear your love for fleshtearers, the fluff of blood angels is my favourite as well. Would be cool to see in the future more guests, like a monthly top player guest for example Stephen Box from vanguard tactics to play against Lawrance’s grey knights and discuss about your mutual love for the blood tactics/fluff-wise. These vox casts are great for wagging the dog in the forest isolation of thr covid-19 like the D&D stuff.. but the main reason to become a subscriber was quality of the video.. and… Read more »

Francisco Michels
Francisco Michels

Spider, I’m very glad you have done what you have for the hobby both warhammer and D and D as I enjoy them both so this is a great way for me to enjoy more of it. Its great you were able to take all those skills you have picked up and use them alongside people you’ve come to know and been friends with for years and build this channel. I’m sure I am not alone in looking forward to seeing whats to come. 🙂

George Fava
George Fava

love these videos. I’m happy to be able to help, in some small part, in supporting what you guys do. seeing you transform this from a dream into a thriving reality is just awesome. keep it up guys!!!

Reed Anderson
Reed Anderson

This video should be required reading for any new Tabletop Tactics fan. I love this studio, and I can’t wait to see the future plans manifest. I The number one thing that sets this content apart from all the rest is the quality. I always notice the sound quality and lighting in Tabletop Tactics and I’m so appreciative that this is a priority, no matter what the content is. The editing is also quite clean. I’m excited for the narrative reports and I’d love to see a planning video for how you set up the story and build your lists… Read more »

Sean Starr
Sean Starr

CONFIRMED: The Spider hates comedy.

Toohat
Toohat

Bone…for the love of god. You cant just compare Lawrence to Liam Neeson. Its not good for his ego. 😀

togamum
togamum

let’s all take a moment and be grateful that spiders don’t fly

Randallj85
Randallj85

DRAMA school! I thought you guys were saying “drummer school” this whole time. It never seemed right to me and now I understand why…

Brothinder

Love all the stuff you are doing and the constant developments and tweaks you make to the channel

any word if the forum will ever make an appearance again?

jbouchard
jbouchard

So great to hear this Lawrence! The style of you and your team have positively impacted my life. Your approach of positivity and humor are spot on.

But the way, would there be a chance of seeing the first video you guys made? Maybe a fun section of nostalgic videos or fan favorite past videos?

Cheers,

Joe

Shayne Unger
Shayne Unger

This was awesome! Great to hear the story of the journey to TTT and how things really got going. I especially like to hear stories of people that have a real entrepreneurial spirit and aren’t afraid to go for it. For me the best part was how Lawrence said he was most happy with how he’s created the opportunity for people. Super awesome to hear. That’s the type of boss one likes to have.

Great interview and great insight.

Matthew Biro
Matthew Biro

Amazing video as always guys. I love to hear the stories and find out what got you into the hobby. Blood angels was my first army as well. It was given to me by a friend of my dad who described them as vampires from space. I immediately fell in love with the BA lore from how sanguinius gave the legion redemption and made the ultimate scarifice. I cannot wait until you begin inviting applications for visitors. Not only does my family live close to Bath but I am a coffee fiend as well. Last thing. Please give us commentator… Read more »

MarkP
MarkP

I just want to say what an incredible journey it has been. Ive been a paid member since the kitchen days and ive seen the channel grow and grow into what it is today. Your content is the best out there by miles, nothing even comes close. Good production, armies, presenters, types of shows etc. You can see how popular you are with the lodge and the incredible amount of support the first day. You could double the subscription fee and id still pay it as the value for money now is so worth it. I cant wait to see… Read more »

Yorkshire Dave
Yorkshire Dave

This was awesome. Fascinating to hear your journey. I would LOVE to see you guys do a blood bowl season – I reckon there is so much flavour you will all add to it that it will be hilarious!

Rus’el
Rus’el

Another fantastic interview, really enjoyed this one!

Would TT ever consider LotR battle reports?

Kyru
Kyru

Good video. Bone missed a followup question on what AOS army Spider is drawn to. Would have been a nice preview of what to expect.

Thomas Isopp
Thomas Isopp

Great story and full of coincidences. Funny enough my tabletop roots are somehow also in Bath/UK. Back in the 1990s I was there a couple of times and attended English language courses in Bath. By chance I ended up in the Games Workshop store and becaue I was eager to polish up my English a bit I started to chat with the guys there. It was all rather strange to my and my only slim connection might have been that I had started reading Tolkien back then. After a short while my daily routine in the afternoons was drinking tea… Read more »

Matthew Dennis
Matthew Dennis

I like Orks 🙁

redroderick
redroderick

Thank you Richard Brancatisano. Without you we wouldn’t have had The Spider and TTT!

Aparach
Aparach

Love the formats and the visions you have Mr. Spider. Really cool to get to know you all a little better. The D&D stuff is amazing (never really gotten into it before, but Wednesday is now my favourite day of the week). Also to get to follow all of yours progressions, be it tactical prowess or collecting a new army: its really cool. I myself have never played 40k or D&D(only played some Warhammer:Fantasy Battle in my student days). When I started watching I had no grasp on the rules, so its really cool that you are considering there might… Read more »

jubble

Really enjoyed that, thanks for sharing. I’ve been following the channel almost from the beginning, and it feels like we are friends almost, even though I’ve only met you guys briefly the once. Now, I have an idea for a series, which I’m sure is music to your ears as the one thing you are short of is ideas, and the one thing you have plenty of is time. ? I love the roleplaying and narrative too, D&D and the narrative reports, fantastic. I think you mentioned playing Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay as well, which I loved growing up. How about… Read more »

Bobabear
Bobabear

Great work you bosses do! So keep it up.

Bigj5274
Bigj5274

Can’t wait for the next narrative campaign. Itd be cool to use the armies we don’t see on the channel a whole lot in it like BA SW drukhari harlequins

Imperial Grunt
Imperial Grunt

This was very cool! Loved hearing the story of how it all started and it’s always awesome to see someone chase a dream, work hard and achieve success. I used to play “Advanced” Dungeons and Dragons as a kid and always loved it but now that I have discovered 40k I think I love the aesthetic of the miniatures and battlefields and tabletop tactics a bit more.
Looking forward to the AoS batreps as well, it will be interesting to compare to 40k.

Keep up the great work!

Russell Wilson

Do you guys not have any interest in the Horus Heresy? I prefer the rules to 40k these days.

Evan Mook
Evan Mook

How does the dynamic work being the boss while all of your employees are your good friends? That seems rather, as seems so be the watch-word, interesting.

Dorn Jr
Dorn Jr

15:01 Beer is liquid bread mates, no judgement.
Also other than my group we didn’t talk about D&D in my younger days as well.

ckiesch
ckiesch

Also, you have gotten me interested in D&D. Consider this a win.

ckiesch
ckiesch

I have been an On-Demand supporter for several years now and I can not tell yall how many times this channel, and specifically this video has made me smile/chuckle. It is worth every dollar to see yall create content and inspire people to play the games that we all love. I have recently gotten back into 40K and I can directly tie my playing in ITC tournaments, Chapter Approved Games, etc… to the excitement and passion yall display every day. Thank You. Keep up the good work, and know that you have a loyal follower for as long as you… Read more »

Jimmy Pihl
Jimmy Pihl

I totally agree on the Orks. Never liked them in 40k. For the same reasons as given.

Jim Kearney
Jim Kearney

Cannot wait to see AoS being played. Guys, my wife now is addicted to TTT, if she ever makes a mistake at something the first words out of her mouth are…..re-rolling ones!

Zelun
Zelun

Spot on about Orks there Spider.

UndeadBen79
UndeadBen79

thoroughly loved this vox, MASSIVE congratulations and THANKS to you all, brilliant content, brilliant team, brilliant dynamics. i feel privileged to be able to support you guys as its utterly and wholeheartedly worth it.

ps: get some Bloodthirsters dammit!!

Grimdark_Legends
Grimdark_Legends

Such a great video- I know I am not alone in saying that the personal stories behind all this are awesome to hear. Thanks a lot for all the great stuff you put out!

Matt Large
Matt Large

Makes me really happy hearing all your journeys to get to this point. Its obvious the amount of work you guys have put into creating this channel and I couldn’t be happier that you are getting to make a living doing something you love and have worked so hard to build together.

Robin Jespersen
Robin Jespersen

Im using my friends’ HBO. Im using my ex gf’s Netflix BUT Im paying, myself, for On Demand – cause you’re worth it!! I have always loved the 40k universe but didn’t really get into the hobby untill 4 months ago and Im learning SO MUCH from watching you guys play! The quality and entertainment level is just so much better than anything else out there on the interwebz… You guys keep rockin’ and we will keep liking! Greetings from Denmark 😀

Great video, I’m always happy when you share your stories… even more cause I can relate with the “nerd shame” that plagued our generation. It’s awesome seeing how much the table have turned in the last 10 years, I would like to send a message to adolescent-me 25 years ago telling him that everything would turn ok.
The content you offer is always top notch and now that here in Italy we are funamentally stuck at home is keeping me company, so thank you and keep it coming!

fulgrimatic
fulgrimatic

I was a teen in the 80s when d&d (along with heavy metal) was getting blamed for suicides, Satanism, and anti-social behavior (aka acting like a teen). This is in addition to the existing stereotype of it being a hobby for nerds, so the bullying came from all directions. I was a bit of a Chad so I didn’t catch the worst of it, but I’m empathically happy that kids today have such an easier time enjoying hobbies, especially ones like rpgs that can help them find out who they are (or want to be). Good job following your dream,… Read more »

Dylan Keller
Dylan Keller

A lot of you talk about your love of d&d and the roleplaying aspect of it helps sate your actors soul. Have any of you considered doing a LARP? Or have done a LARP?

Nick Vasilopoulos
Nick Vasilopoulos

Awesome little bit of history and how it started love these types of videos! Nice change of pace! Lawrence happy to hear you are starting a Flesh Tearer Army! I just painted my first and will be doing an army as well. Any chance I can get some input into what your list has and how you are building them?

Tomgar
Tomgar

Loved hearing the history behind the channel, and the stuff about needing to do something creative really resonated with me personally. I’ve been through some pretty godawful depression in my life and finding that creative spark was such a powerful motivator, even if the stuff you’re working on is just for your own amusement.

Also, I’m pretty sure I’ve said this on every hobby voxcast but Bone, you’re an absolute pro at this kind of hosting and interviewing!

Brett Pettitt
Brett Pettitt

You had to get this out now, before GW reveal who is the spider. At least you have a new assistant.

Sinthas
Sinthas

Absolutly loved it. Watching for nearly 3 years now and this is the video I loved most of all <3 The hour just flew by … all the history, the stuff with your now wife, how you met the boys … can't pick a single story out (okay maybe the bird stuff :D) which I enjoyed most … it's just the amazing journey of life 🙂 Please don't change ! You are doing amazing entertaiment. Suspiciously GW just anounced "War of the Spider" .,,, is this a coincidence ? I think not ! You know you have to build an… Read more »

Andrew Davis
Andrew Davis

I really enjoy watching these learning the back story of how you guys got to where you currently are. Also nice hearing about some of the back stage production that takes place as well, will always find that interesting.

Icarus
Icarus

It’s really great to have a look at the history and inner workings of the channel, you’re the best in the business guys!