Grey Knights vs Orks 2000pts | Warhammer 40,000 League Report

Avatar The Chef July 10, 202179  69 79 Likes

YouTube video

Can Chef steer the Orks to victory, or will Spider and the Hammers of Titan crush the Xenos in this brutal League clash!

00:00 Intro

2:00 Grey Knights List

4:53 Orks List

7:32 Mission

8:46 Game Intro

10:50 Game

1:56:05 Do you need the reroll?

🦠 Details on how we are keeping safe with our new COVID-19 working methods

🎥 Want even more Tabletop Tactics videos? Check out our website and sign up for On Demand!

🏆 Make sure to follow along with the League Rankings and even more gameplay stats here!

(Spoiler Warning! The Rankings are updated with every release so don’t read it until you’ve watched the game!)

🎲 Like to roll in style? Tabletop Tactics Merchandise

🛒 For all your hobby and gaming needs, visit Tabletop Tactics’ sponsors Element Games

🗺 Game Mats provided by gamemat.eu

🎨 For professional miniature painting commissions see Siege Studios

The Army Lists are:

Grey Knights

++ Patrol Detachment ++

+ HQ +

Grand Master Voldus: Powers- Armoured Resilience, Edict Imperator, Warp Shaping

Lord Kaldor Draigo: Powers- Hammerhand, Sanctuary

+ Troops +

Terminator Squad: Power- Gate of Infinity
Justicar: Nemesis Daemon Hammer, Storm Bolter
2x Terminator: Nemesis Warding Stave, Psycannon
7x Terminator: Nemesis Warding Stave, Storm Bolter

+ Elites +

Paladin Ancient: Warlord- First to the Fray, Relic- Augurium Scrolls, Psycannon, Power- Empyrean Domination

10x Paladin Squad: Power- Astral Aim

4x Purgator: 4x Psycannon

++ Total: 2,000pts ++

Orks

+ Battalion Detachment ++

Clan Kultur: Deathskulls

+ HQ +

Warboss on Warbike: Da Biggest Boss, Warlord- Brutal but Kunnin, Relic- Da Killa Klaw, 2x Dakkagun

Warboss: Extra Gubbins- Super Cyborg Body, Power Claw, Attack Squig, Kombi-Rokkit, Sx Slugga

+ Troops +

+ Heavy Support +

Bonebreaka: Kustom Job- Forktress

++ Total: 2,000pts ++

The Phantom
The Phantom
8 days ago

I liked that it was interesting. 2 armies in not the greatest of places unfortunately.

Jamie Holman
Jamie Holman
14 days ago

great game really enjoyed it

Adam Wallis
Adam Wallis
15 days ago

Fantastic battle guys!! Very close shame about the paladins!

I have a technical question, when your filming your models in the intro what equipment are you using? I can see that you are using a slider and a gimbal. How are you getting the rotating pan of some of the clips?

Samuel
Samuel
15 days ago

Great game guys, as always!

George Fava
George Fava
15 days ago

Great game guys! This was such an interesting matchup and I look forward to the rematch down the road.

Joshua Mitchell
Joshua Mitchell
16 days ago

Great game as always. Congrats Chef for giving Spider his first League loss. With that said, that was some pretty bad luck there Spider at a crucial time. So it goes. I’m looking forward to the rematch after the new books drop. Keep it up gentlemen, and keep it savage!! Love the League battles.

D J kiepura
D J kiepura
16 days ago

Really enjoyable. Would love to see the exact same lists once new dex drops to see who gets more wesome stuff

Colin Williamson
Colin Williamson
16 days ago

Love the competitive reports, keep it up!

Luís Sousa
Luís Sousa
16 days ago

Great game guys. Attending Chefs question during the game, as being an Ork fan I’ve studied the “‘Ere We Go charge reroll dilemma”. My conclusions are: 1st the correct decision on what to reroll depend on the target we are aiming for the charge; 2nd considering that the target is 9 and that the roll fail, we should: keep any roll of 4+ and reroll the other (rational: if you have a 4 the probability of 5+ on 1d6 is 33,3% while the probability of 9+ on 2d6 is 27,8%); naturally failing without any 4+ roll reroll both die (27,8%… Read more »

James Marsden
James Marsden
16 days ago

Any chance of Orks vs Tyranids please!?!?

Dean Brereton
Dean Brereton
16 days ago

Nice to see the Grey Knights! that new Crowe model…. wow!

Andrew Davis
Andrew Davis
16 days ago

That was an awesome game, right down to the wire. Can’t wait to see the rematch once you get the new codex for each faction

Jacob Kriegbaum
Jacob Kriegbaum
17 days ago

I hope Lawrence continues to use drukhari in league reports as well as grey knights with their new codex!!!

Philippe Boulanger
Philippe Boulanger
17 days ago

It proves that as the Archvillain, Spider can’t win if he plays good guys.

Good one, keep it up !

Bryan D'Ambra
Bryan D'Ambra
17 days ago

Solid game, I want the run back when both codecies come out. GIVE CHEF DA SQUIGZ

SaltyDawg1
SaltyDawg1
17 days ago

I always hate Spider-Chef BR, especially competitive one, I never know who to root for. Go, Spidef?

Chris Petch
Chris Petch
17 days ago

Grandmaster Voldus… he likes to rap 🙁

John-John Holm
John-John Holm
18 days ago

What a great game, a total nailbiter all the way to the end! I feel like these games with the low/mid-tier armies make for the most interesting games.

Patrick Curry
Patrick Curry
18 days ago

Sticky bomb for the win!!!

Tyler Carrillo
Tyler Carrillo
18 days ago

Is an Orks vs Flesh Tearers battle in the near future?

Johan Røikjer
Johan Røikjer
18 days ago

I really loved the game !
And also it was refreshing to see Lawrence can actually lose xD
I really enjoy the league games! Keep em coming!

Aaron Borer
Aaron Borer
18 days ago

Victory for the boyz! Waaaaagghhh!!! Behold, after the new dex release orks will krump all da umiez!

Samuel Harding
Samuel Harding
18 days ago

great close game. Spiders first loss in a league game!
two small rules points:

• if you go second you score primary at the end of the turn. Not sure that’s what you were doing.
  • verticle engagement range is a thing which is easy to miss. I think the grey knights moved over an ork vehicle at one point. I’m assuming models on those landing pads are less than 5″ from the floor.
The Woodsman
The Woodsman
18 days ago

Great game guys! Great to see two lower tier armies face off in a League Report. Agreed that Spider was a little unlucky on those Paladin saves, but that’s the way these units can go. 2+/4++ with -1D and only wounded on 4s is great… but if you roll under average those models still die. That being said, Chef played well and the Ork list definitely had the mobility to kind of counter the GKs own mobility tricks. I don’t presume to be in a position to give Spider any lessons in the GK (or 40K) department – went 1-2… Read more »

Jack Whorton
Jack Whorton
18 days ago

23 minutes in and memories of ork players taking forever in tournaments due to the stupidly awkward rules come flooding back.. Deathskulls re rolls on top of ork volumes of dice and dakka for me is the worst game design feature in the whole of 40k. At least chef wasn’t running 9 smasha guns..

Sam Reed
Sam Reed

Ahoy!

In the ongoing spirit of actually leaving positive feedback – what a cracker! Nail biter to the end.

Spider – I have to say – if you want to demonstrate your tactical acumen this is it! With very few obvious choices left toward the end of the game, I saw so much I just wouldn’t have thought of! Wonderful.

Chef – My word, your presentation has come on so much recently – absolutely bossing it, way to go.

Good day to you Sirs.

Joel Jackson
Joel Jackson

Yes Chef!! YES!!! WAAAAAGHHH

Adam Adair
Adam Adair
19 days ago

Nice one Chef, I zoggin love the Orks. Your prayers to Gork and Mork were answered and your belief that spiders dice would fail his paladins was a reality.

Looking forward to seeing the orks again. Will the channel be getting a beast snaggas army?

Jarrod Nicholson
Jarrod Nicholson

great game guys.
Lawrence – I’ve had those rolls happen to me so many times it puts me off taking paladins. Hopefully on your next game they’ll go off!

Miles Scholl
Miles Scholl
19 days ago

That may have been the single worst rolling I’ve ever seen from Lawrence.. did you grab Beard’s dice?!

Jack Kypreos
Jack Kypreos
19 days ago

I died inside watching the mighty Whiff of over 500pts of badassery…. so gut wrenching when that happens. Thanks for this one @Spider and @Chef as a GK Main i really enjoyed this one

Anthony Samuel
Anthony Samuel
19 days ago

Great game and a regular match up I play using my Orks. My opponent uses MSU with about 24 psi weapons and a couple of melee units. I take a burner bomber or two against those 1 wound troops as it’s the most effective at getting through their invuns. IMO Should have interrupted with the boss on bike, having him alive and roaming free with 14” move and advance and charge more important for scoring than the nobs. Close games are the best. Great job chef and spider.

Dan Wood
Dan Wood
19 days ago

Did Beard’s soul take over Spider’s body for a bit there??

Chalen Godwin
Chalen Godwin
19 days ago

The rolls did not help Lawrence in this game however I don’t think the list was very strong. The last list he ran against Bone and Orks with the terminators and dreads may have work a little better. I find that the power armor marines just don’t have the staying power to survive a counter. I find running terminators is a bit better. At 200+ points for the interceptors is just not worth it if you can’t protect them. Now I did watch Richard Seigler run them with a rhino and using idict imperator seems to work very well. I… Read more »

UseLess
UseLess
19 days ago

Excellent games guys and gratz to Chef on breaking that winning streak! Always a pleasure to see the Orks coming out to play.

nairul
nairul
19 days ago

Great game all. Just chiming in to point out what might be a slight cheaty cheat on Lawrence’s part… Interceptors’ Personal Teleport rule states they can teleport shunt “instead of moving this unit normally” so Turn 1 those Interceptors could not have moved out of the way to make room for Purgations to move up. The Purgations would have needed to move around them, as the Interceptors disappear only at the end of the movement phase. Still great game & thank you for the GK Battle report!

Dave Cullen
Dave Cullen
19 days ago

Who is going to take over the Death Guard, now Bone is gone?

Enhanced Ignorance
Enhanced Ignorance

Lovely game guys.

Tough luck on the paladins and that’s how I feel with mine ATM. It’s like you have to have a perfect turn just to have a chance.

Just a quick question for 🕷️: why not shoot and charge voldus into the grots last turn so at worst you contest the objective with the buggie? Would it have made a difference?

Christian Hellicar
Christian Hellicar
19 days ago

With all those 1’s for 2+ armour saves your training for Custodes is now complete

Daniel Bromley
Daniel Bromley
19 days ago

Eight 1s is insane! But that was a great game guys, do love Orks.

James Masters
James Masters
19 days ago

Ah YES! Ive been waiting for the Death skulls to come back! New codexes for these 2 armies and thousand sons soon it would be cool to see the skulls rematch against TSons and Grey Knights when everyone is powered up!

19 days ago

Nice game, I’m looking forward to the rematch once both new codices drop!
I’ve always been intrigued by the Grey Knights, if they ever get the primaris treatment I think I’ll start collecting them.
On another note, I don’t what changed or if it’s just me but I find the video quality much more defined and the transitions smoother… It looks so much better now!

Dan Jordan NZ
Dan Jordan NZ
19 days ago

Cheers but the playback is not working in the mobile app. The Download button doesn’t appear for this video either Gotta love tech eh

Lidarith
Lidarith
19 days ago

Great game! cant wait for the rematch. 😀

PunchieCWG
PunchieCWG
19 days ago

Still watching at present, just saw the low roll spree and I am certain that someone has been cursed. #RevengeOfThePlants

Ben H
Ben H
19 days ago

I think this was one of the most enjoyable games I’ve seen in a while. Despite both armies’ flaws, it seemed a lot more balanced than the lunacy that the Drukhari/Ad Mech (and to a slightly lesser extent sisters) books have brought.

Can’t wait to see what the GK book brings though. Hoping they’ll be able to hang with the best. Extra wound/attack will make a big difference irrespective of other rules.

Ryan Evans
Ryan Evans
20 days ago

Rolling the single 3 for a 4+ is more likely than re-rolling two dice for an 8+. 7’s on 2D6 happens 58% of the time, so 8 or more on the same 2D6 is 42%, vs 50% on a single 4+ 🙂
Love me some dice math <3

Dan Jordan NZ
Dan Jordan NZ
20 days ago

Yay. My GK! Has been a tough couple of tournaments for me with them lately – the codex is feeling really old right now! Boy if you’re not at the top of your game mentally it’s a rough day lol. Having some playback issue with this vid for some reason.. anyone else?

Lidarith
Lidarith
20 days ago

How can you put transhuman onto Terminators? isn’t Prinaris only?

Last edited 20 days ago by Lidarith
Connor Guy
Connor Guy
20 days ago

Yes! Can’t wait to watch this one, great start to the weekend.