Warhammer 40,000 Faction Focus: *NEW* Forge World Compendium – Space Marines

Avatar Tabletop Tactics November 12, 202016  69 16 Likes

Beard and Chef sit down to discuss some of the updates to Forge World units in the latest Compendium, with Part 1 focusing on the Adeptus Astartes!

Want even more Tabletop Tactics videos? Sign up for On Demand here: https://tabletoptactics.tv/membership-account/membership-levels/

Turrican
Turrican
11 hours ago

Amazing that you had a ten minute conversation about Martial Legacy without ever explaining what this is. I’m still none the wiser!

Simon Horrocks
Simon Horrocks
17 days ago

would love chefs view on the tesseract ark -xenos next please

James Gascoine
James Gascoine
20 days ago

This is a bit of a shame. I actually liked FW rules and models, it brought some variety to the game. A lot of the rules were not too broken, it was just how they intereacted with various army rules that made them bonkers. I think a better rule than the CP tax would have them never be able to benefit from the army stratagems/legion traits. Have them fucntion as a standalone detachment where it doesnt cost you extra CP and doesnt break your own army, but they dont benefit either. This would mean the rules could be completley bonkers… Read more »

Marvinmega
Marvinmega
20 days ago

You guys missed the glow up of the century in form of the Astraeus super heavy which received a price drop, more wounds and HONKING 2 VOID SHIELDS! Yes, that is titan shields!!
I’m gonna run it in my next tournament and it will slay!

Matt Hall
Matt Hall
21 days ago

Hello fellow warlords does anyone know the dimensions on the battle mats used these days? I know they use the one’s from Gamemat. eu

Daniel Barter
Daniel Barter
21 days ago

Another great reviews. Cheers! Having just finished all the Charcarodons novels, I was really excited to see what they did with the chapter rules in this, but as you say very disappointing at the amount (or lack of) effort they’ve put in here. Similar to your point about Lugft, it seems really daft that the sharks could take primaris, (even though theyre still around there is no way these lot would be receiving primaris reinforcements in the outer dark, when they have to tithe their own recruits). Furthermore – Tyberos just seems underwhelming, for some reason he only has 6… Read more »

800px-Tyberos_vs_Matnis.jpeg
Benjamin Dixon
Benjamin Dixon
21 days ago

Not related to the video guys but is there a reason why Freeview stuff on the app can’t be downloaded or listened to as audio in the background? Or am I just missing something?

Zeruel90
Zeruel90
21 days ago

The character’s warlord traits really are just upsettingly bad 🙁 If they weren’t gunna put any effort into chapter tactics and simply do recommendations, not sure why they put effort into locking them all into the worst possible trait. I think the more I think about it, I’m more alright with the dreadnought nerfs… although the leviathan REEEEAALLY should have kept t8 at the least, there’s no way an ironclad is tougher than that thing. While we’re at it, Bray’arth should have kept t8 as well, especially since Bjorn got it too and Bray’arth is supposed to be a better… Read more »

fulgrimatic
fulgrimatic
21 days ago

Meant kindly: script or outline. Started out “winners and losers”; devolved into per faction and rehashing previous units into a binary “viable or pretty”. Good information but needs organization.

Last edited 21 days ago by fulgrimatic
_ewar_
_ewar_
21 days ago

Whole thing sounds a bit meh to me. Glad that my thunderhawk, fellblade etc aren’t just pointed out of any actual play, even if they are still a bit silly.
Generally the pointing of vehicles just feels absolutely all over the place. How is a new Gladiator worth 50+ more points than a sicaran or leviathan, it’s nuts. The CP cost is also pretty brutal on top of the rule nerfs – I’m a happy fluff player, but if their rules are fair how on earth can you justify paying CP on top in matched play?

kotem
kotem
21 days ago

You absolutely must buy a mastodan for the world eaters

Nick Kirkham
Nick Kirkham
21 days ago

I’m really tempted by the Diemos Vindicator Laser Destroyer, and aside from forums online, this is now the 3rd place I’ve heard that it’s looking good now. Tempted to place my first FW order for it. I play Ultras mainly, so unable to tag it in combat.

Moraca4
Moraca4
21 days ago

The Typhon dropping 370 points will definitely allow me to bring it to more casual games 🙂 and I’m glad you touched up on the current weird state that all the LoW are in and provided your perspectives. Thanks for the content! Love the app

beng9213
beng9213
21 days ago

I’m really disappointed chef that you are happy with the amount of flavour that the game has just lost because of meta chasing balance complaints! I understand a nerf was needed but as per normal with GW they nerf to hard and remove all the flavour from the units, aggressors with advance the advance rule, wulfen being nerf to the ground, the leviathan and contemptor, all of these could have been handle with a little bit of care and thought but they haven’t they just removed everything that made them unique, it was GW that made the leviathan broken before… Read more »

James Bowles
James Bowles
21 days ago

I think contempors are dead now tbh. Leviathans are interesting, late 8th early 9th they were kind of an auto take. More recently they haven’t seen as much use because a. splurging 350+ points on one model isn’t a particularly competitive play in 9th and b. Iron hands aren’t as good now so the leviathan wasn’t as tanky. I like the revised leviathan because the points make it particularly interesting because it’s closest comparator is now the redemptor. Now redemptors have the benefit of core but they aren’t as strong in terms of the shooting power of Leviathan. Whereas the… Read more »

Brothinder
Brothinder
21 days ago

Really informative as always. As a player of one the FW badab chapters I felt it was a shame they didn’t put even a little bit more effort to create different and custom chapter tactics.

Nathan Whitchurch
Nathan Whitchurch
21 days ago

I will add guys another point about the LoW models you didn’t bring up. If you follow the recommended terrain amounts for 9th ed tables, they can’t move very well. The footprints they have are so large and they have no terrain traversal rules that you are inherently restricted on movement making it relatively easy to outmaneuver them in concerns to LOS and dense cover.

Yuri Broda
Yuri Broda
21 days ago

Why don’t you guys do some friendly for-fun games where you just allow each player to bring a LoW, or some super heavy forgeworld models? Build a regular 2000 point list, and tack on some absurd models just for giggles? A few astreus tanks, mastodons, whatever. Id love to see some bigger battles… 4k or 5k points, make it happen!

Casper Rasmussen
Casper Rasmussen
21 days ago

huron got a model for Badab wars, we clearly need a sculpt of chef and bone for “the baddalion wars” 🤷‍♂️

jacob simmons
jacob simmons
21 days ago

You guys should look at the Knight Styrix and Knight Magaera. I started playing my Knights a month ago after I got my commission back. They’ve been kicking ass! I know I’ve been recommending Moiraxes and you’re looking into them (c’mon Lawrence!). But these are very strong, their claws have a smash profile that’s titanic feet with flat 3 damage! I know that was something B-Bone felt was silly, a Knight not being able to kill a tactical marine with his foot. But no more! (Also try looking into playing the Endonian Knights as Krast.)

Awol Albert
Awol Albert
21 days ago

I’m glad they’ve changed the Leviathan rules. I haven’t use mine for about 18 months (COVID reasons too) because it had too much of an influence on a game. Now I can field that expensive model I spent all that time painting without the ‘feel bad’……well as much feel bad!

Rhys Anderson
Rhys Anderson
21 days ago

Surprised nothing was said about the Astraeus and its (at least) 6 opportunities to just straight up ignore damage with 30 wounds and T8! I’m very happy with mine, think its been made sufficiently beastly for the approximately 700pt price tag. The thing is astoundingly cool.

Southpaw
Southpaw
21 days ago

I appreciate I’m arguing against opinion here, but for the sake of argument – I like to imagine that the 2,000pt firefight we’re playing is part of a greater battle, rather than an isolated skirmish in the middle of nowhere. Superheavies and flyers (not to mention named characters, chapter masters in general and arguably even captains) have no place in a small engagement, but they do fight on the front lines in greater battles, and characters frequently meet face to face in the fluff – a 2,000pt game starring Abaddon, Guilliman and/or a knight could therefore be the focal point… Read more »

Paul Cross
Paul Cross

We need a Bone Wagon!!!

Jón Gerðalíð
Jón Gerðalíð
22 days ago

Why am I not able to stream this specific video to my tv?

ferret2005
ferret2005
22 days ago

The leviathan is definitely more balanced, and probably better given the points reduction. However I cannot get over the reduction to T7 (along with Brayarth), when things like the ironclad and the new gladiator tanks are T8, it just feels so wrong.
Along with a lot of this book, things seem more balanced but a lot of the flavour and fluff links have been ripped out.

22 days ago

I hated all the Forge World side of 40k with a passion for many, many years: I always found the unbalanced rules maddening (even when that meant that some units were rubbish), and I always thought it was somewhat disagreable to have units that you don’t find in the “official” codices allowed in games. For a very long time it also felt to me as a pay-to-win mechanic: I know that some armies had to rely on this to even have a chance to compete, but that was an inescusable bad work GW did on the rules of those armies… Read more »

Last edited 22 days ago by Stefano
Sebastian
Sebastian
22 days ago

Chef: “Balance is not about .. oh .. this has been too powerful, now we’re gonna completely nerf it into the ground.”
Me looking at my 6,000 points of Ynnari (converted with mixed bits to not be regular Eldar) …

Christopher Dean
Christopher Dean
22 days ago

Gotta love beards cheeky grin while chef hates on leviathans hahaha

Paul McDonald
Paul McDonald
22 days ago

Completely agree with what you were saying about Leviathans and the balancing they recieved. In 8th edition, I would run my Leviathan in my Space Wovles army, because it was a linchpin model, it offered great surviavability as well firepower, but more importantly, my opponent would tend to focus on the Leviathan, allowing a greater chance for my Wulfen and Thunder Wolf Cavalry to make it across the map. Now, the rebalancing for the Leviathan has hit its overall power alot, but the points cost drop was amazing and to me its still bordering on a must include because of… Read more »

Last edited 22 days ago by Paul McDonald
Aplekton Assembly
Aplekton Assembly
22 days ago

I think the discussion for the leviathan (and before you read any further I don’t and have never owned one but I wanted one) is that It always felt like a sort of centre piece model without dipping into the real of super heavies. Having lost toughness 8 (and the 4+ invuln?) if you are running it with say the meltas and claw, its just going to die assuming the opponent knows how much damage that one gun can and claw can put out. Now obviously its just my thoughts but I think it would have been better if it… Read more »

Martinb
Martinb
22 days ago

Just my luck… see’s Leviathans are insanely good, buys Leviathan… rules update… haha – was gonna use it with my ccw contemptors; give my iron warriors some bite. Looking forward to the spikey version of this…

Alec Small
Alec Small
22 days ago

Watching this as I touch up the paint job on my converted Vindicator Laser Destroyer (Plastic Vindicator with three lascannons to replace the demolisher.)
With Black Templar MW FNP, there is no reason to ever not overcharge that baby!

Zaius
Zaius
22 days ago

One of the guys at miniature war gaming in Canada used a Mastodon in a Space Wolf army hauling around Murder Fang and a bunch
Wulfen. Ridiculous list. Very funny though

Michael Corr
Michael Corr
22 days ago

So glad the Leviathan has been toned done. It was the most obnoxious model to play against from Forgeworld.

Kaibong deity
Kaibong deity
22 days ago

I’m gutted that Death guard ( and thousand sons ) lost access to FW units. Just finished weeks of work on a death guard contemptor. Now having to return the book and a helltalon :*(

Genestirling
Genestirling
22 days ago

Great review and breakdown! I very much like the slightly different format. Well done, gentlemen 🤘

And Chef, I absolutely understand your fluff/crunch frustrations… I play Tyranids. The Medium-to-Smallish Devourer 😩

Tom Oneill
Tom Oneill
22 days ago

Any chance we could have a Dark Angel faction focus please. These are great. Stay safe all. Kind regards, Tom and family.