How To Airbrush | Complete Beginners Guide

Avatar The Chef July 27, 202239  48 39 Likes

YouTube video

If you want to learn how to paint miniatures with an airbrush, this is the video for you! Fletcher takes you through the basics of setting up your compressor, airbrush and maintenance of this essential tool for miniature painting.

🦠 Details on how we are keeping safe with our new COVID-19 working methods ➡️ https://tabletoptactics.tv/2020/11/02/tabletop-tactics-backstage-updated-cover-19-working-methods/

🎥 Want even more Tabletop Tactics videos? Check out our website and sign up for On Demand! ➡️ https://tabletoptactics.tv/subscribe/

📖 Learn the ways of war with our in depth Tactical Guides! ➡️ https://tabletoptactics.tv/data-slates/

🎲 Like to roll in style? Tabletop Tactics Merchandise ➡️ https://www.tabletoptactics.tv/shop/

🛒 For all your hobby and gaming needs, visit Tabletop Tactics’ sponsors Element Games ➡️ https://elementgames.co.uk

🗺 Game Mats provided by gamemat.eu ➡️ https://www.gamemat.eu

🎨 For professional miniature painting commissions see Siege Studios ➡️ https://siegestudios.co.uk

Mark Kittle
Mark Kittle
6 days ago

In terms of dumping paint and thinner down the loo, what are the environmental impacts of that?

Peter Hofmann
Peter Hofmann
8 days ago

Thanks a lot fletcher. I am on the brink of starting to use an airbrush and this tutorial helps me a lot. It is a bit clearer and a bit more concise, then what I found elsewhere. Great job

Ross Patrick
Ross Patrick
9 days ago

Having just got hold of an airbrush secondhand, this came at the perfect time!

Martin Jackson
Martin Jackson
10 days ago

Love this – thank you Fletcher!

Esat
Esat
10 days ago

Great stuff!

Robert Smith
Robert Smith
10 days ago

I was bought an air brush for my birthday years ago but never had the courage to buy an air compressor to get it to work because I didn’t know what to get. This had helped me to pick one now (the same as you) and I’ll finally get to start my airbrushing journey as of Sunday this week. Thanks for all the tips and tricks, I can’t wait to get started.

LizardWizards
LizardWizards
10 days ago

Question – Should I adjust the pressure on my compressor while the trigger is down and air is flowing, or when the brush is resting and no air is flowing? I had always read that air has to be flowing to correctly set the pressure – however in this video it was set while at rest. Does this depend on the regulator or have I been mislead? To provide some background – I set the pressure on my regulator while at rest to 30psi, and the needle shows this, but when I press the trigger the needle on the gauge… Read more »

Benoit Cappez
Benoit Cappez
10 days ago

Really nice vid. A lot of tips and trick. Eager to see the ones on the pressure and the trigger ^^

Nick Bentz
Nick Bentz
11 days ago

Had a good laugh at the needle-to-clean-the-nozzle bit because i do that as well and have gotten several horrified looks, glad to know SOMEONE else does this. awesome guide mate

Ground Truth
Ground Truth
11 days ago

Thanks for the video! When do you suggest using a ventilation system when airbrushing?

Chris Hatton
Chris Hatton
11 days ago

great vid, I have an airbrush and I find harder and steenbeck do a great little cleaning kit that scrapes the paint from the nozzle I’m sure TT have an affiliate link: https://elementgames.co.uk/paints-hobby-and-scenery/Airbrushes-accessories/cult-of-paint/accessories/service-kit-for-infinity-evolution-grafo-and-ultra2
Also i find pinching the end of the airbrush with some cleaner in and gently pullin air in (causing bubbles in the cup) is a quick way to clean the airbrush between colours. great content guys

Carl Mitchell
Carl Mitchell
11 days ago

wicked vid! 100% makes me want to go and buy an airbrush now..!
also, congratulations on the lodge!

Jon Vaughan
Jon Vaughan
11 days ago

Thankyou Fletcher for all of these videos that you have done superbly informative and a real help to all those old guys that still use brushes but have been looking at air brushing as a way of saving the arthritis on the wrists. Well done sir !

Rich
Rich
11 days ago

Great video, thank you good sir. Didnt know about trigger control for close up work, will have to give it a go as I only do undercoating currently. Ever use Vallejo surface primer white? Always find it a pain to get right. Black on the other hand is always great coverage. Keep up the good work 👏

Brendan
Brendan
11 days ago

Hey @Fletcher Giles,thanks for the rundown! About to start airbrushing my Night Lords as my first airbrush army – what’s the best way to airbrush the bolters without the overspray getting onto the Midnight Blue bits? Should I use painters’ tape to block off the blue bits? That seems a bit tedious to me, but I can’t really think of any other way offhand…

Doctor Sin
Doctor Sin

Thanks for this Fletcher 🙂

William Gross
William Gross

This is great!!

Awesome!

Andreas Jensen
Andreas Jensen
11 days ago

There are so many talented painters out there, but I think if I could absorb just one painter’s skills, I would pick Fletcher.

Rus’el
Rus’el
11 days ago

I’ve had an airbrush for a few years now, but always been too scared to use it. I’m sure Fletcher’s tutorial will be a huge help in getting me to make that next step! 👊🏼

Matthew Jarvis
Matthew Jarvis
11 days ago

Amazing dude. Really helpful. Wish I had this when I started and even though I consider myself an established airbrush user, picked up a few good tips (that squirty bottle is genius!).

Punit Patel
Punit Patel
11 days ago

Love this, as someone who has recently bought an airbrush this is great! Love the painting tutorials as well although waiting for a vid on the grey tau scheme you guys have 😉

Wael Riad
Wael Riad
12 days ago

Great video, just a couple of questions 😀

Can we use airbrush on trimming and small details, or just for large areas?

Can we use metallic paint?

Can i use smaller compressors, like the one we use in Airsoft?

And again thank you very much 😊

stuart Easton
stuart Easton
12 days ago

Tabletop tactics delivering the goods once again. Literally perfect timing for me as I want to explore the airbrush life 👌

Gbarrett1988
Gbarrett1988
12 days ago

As if, I’ve JUST ordered an airbrush and super anxious to start using it. Thanks TT for thinking of me 😅

Nathan Anderson
Nathan Anderson
12 days ago

Very exciting! I’ve got an airbrush but I’ve only been brave enough to use it for priming models so looking forward to watch this tonight 😊

Mike S.
Mike S.
12 days ago

Oh yeah! That’s pretty cool! I’m toying with the idea to get myself an airbrush setup. Looking forward to watch this!

But my purse isn’t going to like it😅