Warhammer 40,000 Faction Focus: The Good, Bad & Ugly – *NEW CODEX* Necrons

Avatar Tabletop Tactics October 9, 202015  77 15 Likes

Chef and Bone talk all about the newly awakened Dynasties in this Good Bad and Ugly Faction Focus!

Details on how we are keeping safe with our new COVID-19 working methods can be found here:

Want even more Tabletop Tactics videos? Sign up for On Demand here: https://tabletoptactics.tv/membership-account/membership-levels/

Kristian Pettersen
Kristian Pettersen
2 days ago

Why wouldn’t a Monolith in a SH-auxiliary detchment get command protocols? (I may have missed something.)

Last edited 2 days ago by Kristian Pettersen
GoGoGlenno
GoGoGlenno
10 days ago

I’ve also seen some really interesting ideas with flayed one’s particularly with the Novokh. The +1 atk strat for 1cp, getting the str and ap protocal AND the improvement to ap and charge from the dynasty itself. that sounds pretty tasty to me, and not ‘super’ expensive.

Optimisticpaint
Optimisticpaint
10 days ago

Thanks for the review guys.
A suggestion, could you have some text up saying what you’re chatting about while you talk about it? Sometimes hard to track for those of us working at the same time.

Last edited 10 days ago by Optimisticpaint
GoGoGlenno
GoGoGlenno
11 days ago

I really like the idea of convergence of dominion as an area control thing, nearest unit in LOS, slow something down, block LOS etc. i’d have to play it ofc, but i think it could have a really interesting place, in anything that’s not a try hard tournament list.

Stacey Block
Stacey Block
11 days ago

Titanic don’t belong !? How DARE YOU good sir ! Also I cant wait for Imperial Knight game (and review)

Matthew
Matthew
12 days ago

Chef…to make the Hexmark (slightly) more viable in an all-comers list…you can give him the Gauntlet of the Conflagrator…So he pops up, targets a screening unit within 12”, rolls a number of D6’s = to the number of models in that unit and every 6 is a mortal wound…and THEN he fires his guns 🤣

Kaibong deity
Kaibong deity
12 days ago

I agree with Most of what Chef thinks.

I do think I’d put the silent king into ugly, for the same reason as Chef did the monolith.
Its pretty easy to kill a knight in one turn.if you can do that ,then killing a knight without an inv save (lith) is easy.
If you can kill a t8 knight,then you can kill a t7 silent king.
At 360/450 respectively they just aren’t durable enough and their size means movement, deployment etc are difficult

Dorn Jr
Dorn Jr
12 days ago

To the editing and polish side of this I appreciate Grotty’s jazz interlude instead of a rough chop edit; very stylish gents.

Sebastian
Sebastian
12 days ago

Silent King forgetting how his own Dynasty works?

Crazy talk! That’d be like a Genestealer Patriarch not having the traits of the Cult that literally descends from him genetically! GW would never, ever settle for such madness!

Benjamin Chia
Benjamin Chia
12 days ago

Purpose of Reanimator: TERRAIN and basing. =P

Quillan Vickers-noble
Quillan Vickers-noble
12 days ago

Ive never commented before. LOVE your channel. Chef needs to be spoken to about speaking over people and the rampant negativity. This codex is amazing. Why not talk about the many many amazing new builds, counter picks and synergies rather than focusing on every single non-ideal rule. Disappointing to see someone with a good grasp of the game exclude his mate and rant about every bad thing in the codex.

Daniel King
Daniel King
12 days ago

Great video as always guys and got to say I agree with Chef I love this book!

Ben Piddington
Ben Piddington
13 days ago

I think the new book is a breath of fresh air. The fact everything with 2 wounds or more gets Living Metal is great. Someone I know said Reanimation Protocals is alot worse. Utter Rubbish. Never heard such trash in all my life, it works well. C‘Tan though, although they are harder to kill, I think overall they came off worse. Points not mentioned were the powers they are forced to take and Deceiver losing statline. Killing things with the Destroyers will be more hard work, also do not understand the differences between the heavy and normal destroyers other than… Read more »

Brett Pettitt
Brett Pettitt
13 days ago

Just for clarity, if i may ask, with re-animation protocols you loose 6 out of 10 models to 1 units shooting. You then get (1w models,) 6 dice and roll, on a 5+ those models get up. Are the models you do not re-animate then destroyed or do you still roll for them?

Mark Johnson
Mark Johnson
13 days ago

While RP objectively gets worse the more wounds a model has, i think focusing on that in a vacuum ignores several improvements to those multi wound models that makes them objectively better than they have been. For starters, getting living metal on all multi wound models is a huge boost, even if RP is worse for them. Leaving a model now with only 1+ wounds taken off and not killing it now means chewing through that wound again. Most importantly that I think people gloss over is the point cost of some of our best multi wound units. You could… Read more »

Matthew Biro
Matthew Biro
13 days ago

From what I have read and heard so far (currently waiting on codex delivery today) I like it! I like the overall depth and increased variety. RP is not we’ll be back but it is a better starting point to build on in future editions (and auto losing once you lost so much of your army was just a bit rubbish). I also agree with the argument that a rule being swingy is not an excuse for giving multi wound models more chance of getting back up. GW should point things appropriately On flyers for Necrons but more generally maybe… Read more »

Steve Lynham
Steve Lynham
13 days ago

This is the first time I’ve dipped my toe into the comments, but I just wanted to say that you pretty much helped get me through lockdown and reignited my passion for the hobby, which had started to wane a little toward the end of 8th. I’m a long time Necron player and I just want to thank Chef (and Bone!) for his/their practical and balanced view of the codex. I have seen far too much hate for it based purely on leaks and the fact that it doesn’t instantly appear to be 10 x better than the Space Marine… Read more »

Bluepuffoflogic
Bluepuffoflogic
13 days ago

Chef, I get where you are coming from on RP, and for 1 and 2 wound models I think it works great, love it. I just can’t STAND paying points for a rule I will statistically never get to use. In my local meta I never had much issue with someone killing 3-4 destroyers in a go. They were always getting taken out one or two at a time. So now instead of my opponent getting the feel bad moment once a month or less when I would reanimate 3-4 destroyers, I get a feel bad moment every time I’m… Read more »

Zeruel90
Zeruel90
13 days ago

Good stuff as always gents 🙂 The only real complaint I have is reanimation, I wish it was applicable really at all on destroyers and the like. But yknow what? In exchange for the army becoming interesting and playable I’ll take that trade. Love C’tan changes, not gunna feel bad at all taking one, they’ve been “meh” for many editions and you definitely pay the points for them now. Star gods *should* be really scary. In fact, I’d love to see more big scary monsters in 40k, hope the Avatar of Khaine and maybe some bigger ‘Nid bugs get some… Read more »

Tropic Thunder
Tropic Thunder
13 days ago

Thank you for the breakdown, gentlemen. I have long had an interest in Necrons, but for one reason or another I never pulled the trigger. My first time considering them was when Decurion was out and I didn’t want to be “that guy”. In 8e I revisited but didn’t see enough melee options to pique my interest. With this 9e book, I’m quite pleased with the updates that I will look to start them up. The trick will be convincing my wife I need a 13th army… lol Chef mentioned that the Command Protocols are unique to the Necrons. While… Read more »

Bonemaw
Bonemaw
14 days ago

Like you say chef, the reanimator is not gonna see any table time unless they give it like a 6″ aura of reanimation and make it 50-60’ish points as it is basically only good for reanimation and dies really easily.
I am really excited to play a more ctan heavy list 🙂 I liked your insight on the flayed ones vs the canoptek wraiths. I think you have me convinced running wraiths instead and maybe even some spiders as well 🙂
Really good analysis. Then again, I love Bone and Chef rants/discussions

Linden Burnstein
Linden Burnstein
14 days ago

After reading up on the Nightbringer. I wonder if he’s going to stay as super as he currently is.

Mike
Mike
14 days ago

It seems as though the Monolith struggles in the same way that things like Wraithknights, Baneblades, and other superheavies do in 9th ed: the game’s not really friendly to things that have the Lord of War role because of the way the detachment rules work at the moment. Imagine it being a (very pricey) Heavy Support choice instead, and suddenly it would be waaaay more tempting. A simple fix might be to add the option of taking one LoW in a Brigade detachment; then the CP cost is offset by the warlord, the LoW is still less likely to show… Read more »

Kristian Pettersen
Kristian Pettersen

Chef has learned the correct pronounciation of “Tachyon”! Mwaha! *much preen*

Corruption
Corruption
14 days ago

Really enjoyed this one, thanks Chef and Bone!
Any thoughts on the Heavy Destroyers and the Doomstalker?
Also appreciate this would have doubled the length of the video but would also be interested to hear your opinions on the Dynasty rules (including the ‘build your own’), strategems, the relics and Warlord Traits.

bart wasteels
bart wasteels
14 days ago

I play against Necrons ALOT (usually several games every week), so I like to think that I know the army a bit. First of all: I’m scared. They are looking a lot stronger than before. I just have 2 small remarks: -Chef, I get what you’re saying with the Silent King and his Dynastic code, but look at Fabius Bile and the Creations of Bile. it’s the same issue (as Bile has the Shadowy allies rule) and GW was quite clear in War of the Spider that he doesn’t get his own legion trait. It’s a bit sad, but it… Read more »

Aguinius
Aguinius
14 days ago

My fear is that the changes to the army still won’t change enough of target priority so my dda will still die to bolters, and fairly easy still. 3+ armor wont change that, and new QS wont help with that but it didn’t before either. As both necron and spacemarine player, I will still target them with bolters or soon heavy intersessors. Just a fear I have, we’ll see soon enough 🙂

Southpaw
Southpaw
14 days ago

Out of curiosity, Chef (and Bone) – can you say much about what the playtesting experience was like?
When you tried to get doomsday arks changed, for example – did your GW handlers give any counter-arguments? Or just take your feedback silently and send you the next build to playtest, either with or without your changes?

McNulty
McNulty
14 days ago

I would like to have seen RP more applicable to multi-wound units. Something along the lines of for every model destroyed in a unit roll an extra dice. So for every destroyed Skorpekh Destroyer you would role 4 dice, if you get three 5+ they stand back up. Something to make it slightly more probable

MasterWis
MasterWis
14 days ago

Ok, now that you’ve made the comparison with Knights Bone, HE IS CHEAP CHEF, SO CHEAP, SAY IT!
Interesting opinions on certain units though considered bad vs some other analysis that see some potential. Especially you didn’t mention anything about dynasty rules and there could be some potential powerful combos on stuff that look “bad”

Last edited 14 days ago by MasterWis
Akrabra
Akrabra
14 days ago

After watching these reviews, and reading the Goonhammer ones I do not understand the purpose of Core. Why not just limit what a chapter master activation can be used at? Like exclude vehicles, but Include Dreadnoughts and let vehicles re-roll ones with the captains aura, but that character cannot benefit from his own aura. You don’t need a keyword? None of the things mentioned here are broken. Same goes for my Will be Done, why can’t It be used on non Destroyer Cults and non Canoptek? What exactly Is the reason an Overlord can’t Inspire the gunner of a Doomsday… Read more »

Last edited 14 days ago by Akrabra
Mark
Mark
14 days ago

The only good thing about the Transcendent C’Tan is that he can level up in a crusade game and get extra traits 🙂

Virate
Virate
14 days ago

Sorry for the manifesto lol. As always I really love the work you guys put into everything you put out! I do not have the book in hand yet but there are plenty of google drives that have the whole codex and have been around for a week or so, so I am coming from the view point of someone who has been going through the codex for a week so far (picking up my copy from my flgs today!). General thoughts – If I had to use one word to describe this codex it would be Compromise, the codex… Read more »

Lofwyr
Lofwyr
14 days ago

Was painting my second batch of 3 Skorphek Destroyers and the last 10 of my for now 40 Warriors while listening to Chef talk and Bone listen. I generally agree with you Chef on almost all points! I still wish there was a stratagem to guarantee protocols (like 2cp, place a counter after a core unit was fully destroyed, roll protocols for it or something) but in general I am happy with the turnout. I wanted to go loads of Warriors and was lamenting the lack of melee troops, but now found my calling with Novokh Warriors that, with the… Read more »

DObkeratops
DObkeratops
14 days ago

Great vid as always. One thing that is making me start to worry about 9th, I have watched a bunch of these opinion/reviews videos and the amount of times (outside of troops typically) you hear either “It would be good if it did 2 damage” and/or “It would be good if it had an invulnerable”. Am I the only one who thinks it would be worse this way and it would be better if invulnerable and (outside of heavy weapons) 2 damage was a rare thing? seems to me everyone is clamoring to balance everything on the more overpowered and… Read more »

Last edited 14 days ago by DObkeratops
Alex Andersson
Alex Andersson
14 days ago

Good one guys 🙂 I think a big take-away that needs to be consistently feedbacked to GW is the balance between offense, cost and wounds. They can not release dataslates that fundamentally lack this balance and hope that these models see any play. Vehicles and flyers are all in a very tough spot now because they can not keep up in terms of durability. What we see consistently is that there is roughly in the game a formula of 1 wound costing 10 points. This is a very rough estimate, but if something starts costing 15-20 points per wound, it… Read more »

Last edited 14 days ago by Alex Andersson
Aris D
Aris D
14 days ago

A brief comment on Lokhust Heavy Destroyers ? New to ‘crons bought three as they look awesome – not sure about how they will play

Mark
Mark
14 days ago

Honestly, I love the new book theres a lot of cool rules and some really fluffy stuff. But damn, does the ‘Core’ keyword really hamstring a lot of cool stuff. Unlike Marines it’s actually a much bigger downside for us. But if Marines are the exception and the other codex’s are more inline with the Necron one then I’m a happy chappy.

Alex Martyniuk
Alex Martyniuk
14 days ago

Tangential non-Necron comment… Please do not campaign to get rid of all randomness in damage etc. Shokk-Attack-Guns are random in the fluff and should be completely random in the game…

Villainjake
Villainjake
14 days ago

Great thoughts, especially over the LOW choices. I really want the obelisk to work and having 24 tesla str8 d2 shots sounds great but is it worth the price tag. The monolith looks fun but I agree the 3cp cost to bring it is not. I’m also not sold on the D6 particle whip shots, maybe should be 2d3. It feels like the new doomsday arc of swing. I did feel sad my wraiths went to a 4++ but you are right in its justification. I don’t remember you mentioning deathmarks, I think they are back and great for objective… Read more »

Lee Maddison
Lee Maddison
14 days ago

Been looking forward to this one. Again, got to preface this with new to Necrons, with Covid/UK lockdowns I still can’t actually get a game in anywhere right now and all that jazz but a few questions and ponderings I can pass by you guys? Q’s: Your thoughts on the named characters? Zandrehk and Szeras have always had a soft spot for me, something about a mad old robot and mad robot scientist I guess. Even with some of the ‘bad’ units (you mention Flayed Ones I want to come to that later), are you looking at them as ‘nice… Read more »

Last edited 14 days ago by Lee Maddison
Nébal
Nébal
14 days ago

Great review, thank you. Just one thing missing, maybe? I would be happy to know what you think of all the different crypteks, I really don’t know myself… I feel bad for the Monoliths. I hoped such an iconic model would get better with the new Codex, but it seems it isn’t what happened. Once again. I’m a bit concerned about classical Destroyers as well, to be sure. Probably because they were my favorite unit, and I now have to rethink all of that, which is not a bad thing in itself. But many new features of this Codex seem… Read more »

Anders Myhrvold
Anders Myhrvold
14 days ago

Night scythe is underrated here I think!
You can sit 5 immortals or something in it, so if it dies turn 1 its not so detrimental.
Turn 1 you can fly it up the table and just Yeet 20 warriors or 10 lychguard to its position if they’re in strategic reserves with prismatic dimensional breach. Even makes me want a unit of scytheguard

Steve Head
Steve Head
14 days ago

Just got to say the production quality of your videos is so noticeably improving. I’ve only been watching for about the last year but loving all the cut aways and edits. Loving all the content you’re providing, you’re an amazing team.

Akrabra
Akrabra
14 days ago

The Ophydian destroyers Is the same cost as the Skorpekh ones? Really paying a premium for that deepstrike and loosing out on some key stats. Shame about the LoW’s, kinda figured they would be poor, but saves me some money so thanks GW. What exactly is the reasoning for not giving the flyers or LoW’s Quantum Shielding? I would actually pay 200 for a doom scythe If they had It. So many missed opportunities to tune up units that really needed It, and like half of the new releases are pretty meh. Overall the book does seem solid, so don’t… Read more »

Last edited 14 days ago by Akrabra
Thomas Kirchner
Thomas Kirchner
14 days ago

Chef: “The Night Bringer should be able die one-shot every model in the game. He’s literally part of a God!“
Me: *Cries in Eldar*

ChrisFrosin
ChrisFrosin
14 days ago

Brilliant! Wish I was there chatting away too, SO much cool stuff and ideas to bounce off each other! Love the book so far 😀 😀 Let’s rock out some insane fun to play and strong lists, I can’t wait!
*Ahem* Annihilation Barges should be able to be taken in units… NOM
#ForTheSilentKing!

ragingRaist
ragingRaist

I actually own 80 warriors….. And I will definitely use them with this book 🙂
Looking forward to more codex releases to really see how the balancing will come together and how the power spiral will turn out in 9th.

David
David
14 days ago

Not convinced with reanimation protocols, seems significantly harder for multi wound models. Seems a bit of a design cop out when basically its a 5+FNP.

AbbadonTheDespolier
AbbadonTheDespolier
14 days ago

I’m writing this before watching but here are my 3 bad takes from the codex: 1 – The new reanimation protocols word is… weird. It took me like 3 times reading it and a youtube video before I understood how the rule worked. I don’t know but anyone else feels like it was written in a long complex way? 2 – Command protocols seem like a triple threat of not amazing bonuses whilst being kinda random, and restrictive in their usage. Maybe we”ll see how people find it or overcome it. 3 – Monoliths getting a new kit is awesome.… Read more »